Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Worksop Town v Boston United - UniBond League Premier Division

Poor John, he does all the hard work on match days while
lazy gits like me loiter around doing sweet F.A.

Wednesday 14th April 2010. UniBond League Premier Division
at the New Manor Ground, Ilkeston

Worksop Town (0) 1 (Tomlison pen 90)
Boston United (2) 5 (Spencer Weir-Daley 16, 45, Mikel Suarz 50, Ryan Semple 59, Marc Newsham 88)

Admission season ticket. Programme £2. Attendance 398
Fundamental differences between teams at the top and bottom ends of the table:
Teams at the top end of the table will get the lions share (sadly not the Tigers share) of all 50/50 refereeing decisions.
Teams at the bottom end of the table are not quite as clinical as teams at the top of the table in front of goal and that is one of the main reasons both teams are in their respective positions.
When you're struggling along at the foot of the table you can't buy luck, but when you are cruising along at the top, everything and anything you try comes off for you.
Not that I'm suggesting Boston were lucky tonight.
"I say old chap, could I trouble you to nip out and get me a smoked
salmon bagel with cream cheese from hospitality!?"

I heard said that the 5-1 margin of victory was flattering to Boston and that Worksop deserved more out of the game than a last minute penalty consolation goal.
But I also heard somebody suggest Boston had 'declared' at 4-0 and were conserving their energy for their promotion run in.
And laughingly I heard a Boston supporter bemoaning the rough housed physical nature of UniBond League teams such as Retford and Worksop, saying this was a cloggers league.
Well Boston are in this division on merit and aren't exactly shy when it comes to dishing out the physical stuff either. A twenty man 'argument' in the middle of the pitch, had ten players from each side getting involved ... I think Jon Kennedy kept out of it because his mum was sat up in the stand watching him though. Worksop had four players booked, Boston three, which kind of renders all their claims of them being a purist side inert.
I thought Boston United were good, very good in spells actually and were without doubt the better team on the night.
The referee was poor, very poor in spells actually.
Danny Sleath tested Jon Kennedy on 8 minutes, but the 'big lad' just managed to tip the effort over the bar.
Spencer Weir Daly ran through into the box on 16 minutes, there was a strong suspicion of offside, but he didn't let that bother him too much and Boston were one up.
Danny Bacon volleyed just wide for the Tigers and then at the other end Ryan Semple turned and shot on twenty seven minutes, but his neatly executed attempt deflected wide of Kennedy's goal.
Sanasay replicated Semple's shot and turn but the Boston defence blocked his effort.
And then Tom Evans in the Boston goal twice thwarted Matty Thorpe.
With half time approaching, Weir Daly was on hand again to pounce on a loose ball in the box after Kennedy had saved from Anthony Church's header.
On chances created, the teams ought to have been level, but Boston would be going in 2-0 ahead at the break and it was nearly three when Kennedy did well to save from Ryan Semple.
Gary Townsend, too fast for my camera.

On 50 minutes Mickel Suarez headed Boston even further in front and seven minutes later Ryan Semple made room for himself on the edge of the box and hammered home an unstoppable shot to make it four nil.
This was by far Boston's best spell and they gave Worksop a ruthless lesson in how to finish off a game while you are in the ascendancy.
The Tigers kept plucking away trying to claw back their goal difference a bit, but as per usual, they weren't getting any luck at all.
At four goals behind they actually played their best football of the night, alas Mark Newsham got on the end of a left wing corner and stabbed a fifth goal past Kennedy for the visitors on 87 minutes. And it was all over bar the shouting and a last minute penalty from Ben Tomlinson to blot the visitors clean sheet.
"6-5 we're gonna win 6-5!" sang the Tigers fans behind the goal after the Ben pen.
Alas the referee blew for full time and there wasn't time left to complete the 'anticipated' comeback.