Saturday, 17 April 2010

North Ferriby United v Worksop Town - UniBond League Premier Division

Saturday 17th April 2010. UniBond League Premier Division
at Grange Lane

North Ferriby United (0) 1 (Jamie Barnwell)
Worksop Town (0) 0

Admission £8. Programme £2. Attendance 323
Today's result guarantees North Ferriby United a play off spot at the end of the season.
Meanwhile elsewhere:
Stocksbridge Park Steels 3 v Ossett Town 1
Which means with two games remaining apiece, the Tigers are six points ahead of Ossett.
Respective goal differences at the time of writing are Worksop Town minus 21 and Ossett Town minus 45.
Though I would never take anything for granted, especially with the exiled Tigers this season, that 24 goal margin all but secures Worksop Town's UniBond Premier division status with a week of the season still to go.
Following today's display, where the Tigers matched North Ferriby every inch of the way, you really have to wonder if the fates have already decided that they won't get another point again this season.
The home side came close to opening the scoring on 19 minutes when Alex Davidson hit the crossbar. But Worksop were looking dangerous too from both wings, with Ryan Mallon on the left and Jamie Jackson down the right, with Danny Bacon in support. In fact Jackson had Worksop's first decent chance, but his effort was cleared off the line.
On 27 minutes Ben Tomlinson went in late on Sam Denton ... Denton got to his feet and punched Tomlinson.
The referee decided both players transgressions merited a straight red card.
Right on the stroke of half time, Jamie Jackson hit a cross into the box from the right and Luke Shiels thundered an header against the crossbar ... if that wasn't going in, then nothing was and people started to check how Ossett were doing at Stocksbridge, they were losing at Stocksbridge, but at half time it was only 1-0.
Where's Wally? The Sequel.
Or is it Compo, Clegg and err ... thingy?

After the break Worksop attacked down the flanks again and Mallon shot narrowly over the bar.
The turning point of the game came when North Ferriby substitute Gary Bradshaw was introduced into the fray. He beefed up the visitors front line as both teams pushed forward to try and secure the three points that they needed for completely different reasons.
On eighty minutes Jon Kennedy beat out a goal bound header from Bradshaw, but Jamie Barnwell was on hand to head home off the rebound.
To compound the visitors misery, defender Scott Lowe had hurt himself trying to clear the danger and had to come off.
Late in the game Kev Sanasay almost fired home an equaliser, but not for the first time this season, North Ferriby's keeper Steve Wilson thwarted the Tigers right at the end.
Barring a spectacular goal avalanche against Worksop and for Ossett in the final two games, the Tigers have now all but preserved their UniBond Premier status, but the celebrations were somewhat muted by a prevailing feeling of "Thank **** that's all over" from the away support, for who the end of this season can't come quickly enough now.