Wednesday 17 June 2020

BUCKET LIST - STAPENHILL OR BUST (PART TWO)

In the current social climate, it's probably something of a futile exercise in whatifery to be planning ahead as regards indulging myself in the luxury of embarking on any forthcoming football travels.
But hey! I'm buying into an optimistic mindset of getting myself organised just in case... and in doing so I'm not hurting anybody, treading on any toes, nor getting dragged into any of the us versus them divided nation madness and nastiness that has taken over all other social media channels. 
Besides, there is a significant amount of mileage to be gained from adhering to the old adage: 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'.
One must stay alert in these unprecedented times and be ready to embrace the new normal... and pick up as many snappy slogans and buzzwords as is humanly possible along the way too.
I'm ready and waiting in eager anticipation... though there is still be a long, long way to go as of yet, I'm still chomping at the bit and my love and enthusiasm for the beautiful game (and life itself) still knows no bounds. 
Believe me folks, this medication I'm taking is mighty fine stuff.
And no! Get stuffed y'all... I don't feel inclined to share any of my prescription stash with you.
Moving swiftly on... Part one of my Bucket List feature that appeared way back in April, detailed the combined total of three Premier League and Football League outposts that I plan to visit in the near(est possible) future to fill in the gaps on my 'done them all' list, while the second part covers two non-league teams and grounds (both new builds) that I have stored the details of in my rangefinder for when circumstances change and government guidelines allow, and begins with two clubs that I've previously seen in action at their current (soon to be former) home grounds, playing in a full-set of: FA Cup, Football League and Non-League competitions, namely: Boston United and York City.
In actual fact, I've also watched both of these clubs in action away from home.... and at Wembley Stadium too. 
Bootham Crescent was actually the only place that I ever watched a Setanta Shield game at too.
That would be: Tuesday 4th November 2008 and it finished: York City 1 v Mansfield Town 1, with the hosts winning the tie by means of a penalty shoot-out. I knew you'd want to know.
It won't be long until both the Minstermen and the Pilgrims are relocating to pastures new... and whensoever there is such a thing as competitive football being played as a spectator sport in this country again, which I don't envisage being anytime soon, I'll be there, at both new grounds, at the earliest possible opportunity.
But in the meantime, I'll plod on with my 'things to do' list regardless.
Boston United
The Quadrant
To my way of thinking, it was always mandatory to pay a call to the Eagle Fish Bar, the nearby 'chippy' when visiting York Street, for a sit down slap up feast. 'Twas in the Eagle where I last saw Keith Alexander, while he was still managing Macclesfield Town. He perused the pile of food on my plate and joked: "Bloody hell mate, I can remember when that coat used to fit you". 
It's been over a decade since Keith sadly passed away, as the football world lost one of it's most modest, affable, genial and knowledgeable of characters. The word legend is chucked about willy-nilly within the game, but Mr Alexander is one of those who is truly worthy of such a status.
York Street was something of a photogenic creature, with bags of appeal for those of a traditionalist bent (there are more of us than you think), but alas, it was overdue an update in an age when a certain amount of discomfort and restricted views is no longer tolerated. Having sat or stood at all fours sides of this time capsule of a bygone age, I would have to say that although this enclosure isn't without a certain charm, there are sections that you wouldn't want to be squeezed and cramped into if you suffered from even the mildest form of claustrophobia, or actually wanted to see at least both goals clearly.
It'll be sad to see another old ground vanish from the football landscape, but modern day crowds prefer a little more space and comfort... however, I reckon that they'll soon be pining for York Street once they realise that when Boston United move, they're not taking the Eagle Fish Bar with them.
The Pilgrims new 5,000 capacity stadium, which is located to the South West of the town (Wyberton), just off the A16 is part of a bigger development project called the Quadrant, which also includes housing. the original scheduled opening of the new facility August 2020.
As of the beginning of the nationwide lock-down, the building work appeared to be running on time, so it seemed as if, with everything everything going according to plan, then York Street (AKA the Jakemans Stadium) might've already staged its last ever game of football. However, the Vanarama National League play-off semi-final between the Pilgrims and the winner of the Brackley Town v Gateshead eliminator scheduled for Saturday 19th July will now take place, on Saturday 25th July. Similarly, York City will be hosting the other semi-final at Bootham Crescent on the same date against either Altrincham or Chester, who face-off in the other eliminator, which is also taking place on 19th July. The final will take place at the home of whichever of the qualifying teams finished highest in the league. Sadly, all five of these games will be staged behind closed doors.
York City
LNER York Community Stadium (scheduled opening 2020)
I made a final pilgrimage, two stops up the East Coast Mainline from my home towm to Bootham Crescent in December, when Guiseley AFC visited the Minstermen, for a National League North fixture, that the west Yorkshire side won 1-2.
My first ever visit here was during the 1974-75 season, when a well-meaning uncle drove us 'oop north to watch the FA Cup third-round replay between York City and Arsenal, that attracted a crowd of 15,362.
The initial game at Highbury had finished one apiece, as did the game I was at, but the Gunners eventually took the honours 1-3 after extra-time, as former England striker Brian Kidd claimed a hat-trick, while Barry Lyons scored for the home side.
York City's new home, the LNER Community Stadium, that they'll be sharing with York City Knights Rugby League club, which is near the Monk's Cross retail Park, is due to open this year, on an as of yet to be confirmed date.
The Minstermen's soon to be former home, is a brisk twenty-minute stroll from the railway station (if you're of a mind to pass several decent pubs en route without making a pit-stop), but the new ground is roughly three miles away... and a bit more of a route march.
The flexibility of my approach to watching football matches, means that I will still renew my season ticket at my Football League club of choice, once (or even if) things get going again, hopefully some time during the 2020/21 campaign, although some of the rumours and estimates pertaining to what the actual timescale for that might be are rather worrying.
But, I'm still fascinated with all different levels of the game and that's always been the case with me... so why on earth would I ever want to change a thing? My enthusiasm remains undiminished, regardless of the fact that there is an ever widening chasm of divisions between the upper echelons of the game and the rest of us.
Be it getting immersed in a swaying jubilant crowd following a goal that's just seen off the threat of relegation for yet another season, or standing on my tip-toes straining to get a glimpse of a trophy being triumphantly raised to the skies somewhere in the middle distance...
or even enjoying the relative tranquillity of being one of only a handful of people watching a grassroots game with very little riding on the outcome of whatever might happen out on the pitch, isn't without a certain charm, nor is the fond familiarity of several of my regular haunts and the people therein, or the very genuine thrill of visiting new ground that I've never been to before, or even several of them across the course of the same weekend, or even day, as I continue my journey towards OAP land headlong, still full of the same wide eyed wonderment that I experienced as a kid, attending my first few games... it's my thing and therefore I'll always do it my own way.
And hopefully before too much time elapses, my chequered path will be heading towards even more carefully selected destinations of choice. I have a shortlist, but lets just see where all of the shards reconnect once this crazy world begins to resemble something resembling some kind of normality again... assuming it ever will (or ever did) of course.
To be continued.