Monday 11 January 2016

"I'm an instant star. Just add water and stir."

Seven years ago, or thereabouts, my granddaughter was sitting in a school assembly, when one of her teachers put the question to the room: "Do any of you know anything about God?"
Izzy's hand shot up and when prompted she informed her classmates: "My granddad told me about this, when we were listening to some stuff, 'Elvis was the king, but David Bowie is God!', we like listening to his songs"
The teacher replied: "Ha, ha, I think your granddad must be the same age as me", before going on to tell them all about some other God, who wasn't nearly half as interesting or inspirational.
This is her favourite Bowie song; Izzy that is, not the teacher, she's more of a Ziggy Stardust period kind of lady.
I think I'll wait until she's a bit older before I explain the Pat Hewitt joke to Izzybug.
The world is waking up today to the terrible news about the demise of the Great White Duke; a true one off, who transcended any kind of classification, categorisation, or genre pigeon-holing.
He leaves behind a prolific and immense body of work, which touched the hearts of generations.
His input to the world of music and the legacy he leaves behind, will never be surpassed, or even equalled by any other artist, because there will never be anything or anybody else that could ever compare to David Bowie.
He is often imitated, but he'll never be emulated.

"I'm always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don't even take what I am seriously."