Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Handsworth Parramore 2 v Shaw Lane Aquaforce 0 - PSF

Tuesday 14th July 2015
PSF at Windsor Food Services Stadium
Handsworth Parramore (0) 2
Luke Fletcher 67, Kieran Wells 87
Shaw Lane Aquaforce (0) 0
Admission £5
Last season's Premier Division champions, visited the home of the NCEL League Cup holders, in what could have been billed as the NCEL Charity Shield.
Although Shaw Lane were not at full strength, they still put out a fairly decent side... but regardless of their personnel, the Barnsley based side were swept away at times by Handsworth's 'all out attacking' gameplan, on what turned out to be a thoroughly entertaining night.
There was only one reason that the score was still nil-nil at half time and that was an outstanding first forty-five minutes from the Shaw Lane keeper Ian Deakin.
Some of the saves he pulled off, registered somewhere between awesome and sublime... and he must've left Nathan Joynes and Kieran Wells (twice) wondering what on earth they had to do to score tonight.
At one point the Parramore manager, Peter Duffield, shouted across to the visitors keeper: "OK Deaks, you've done your bit, you can have a rest now!"
Parramore will have been pleased to see that Deakin was replaced at half time by 'A Trialist', a youngster who has recently been released by Barnsley, but he too proved to be a stubborn nut to crack and he pulled off arguably the best save of the night, just after the hour mark, when he managed to block Wells' close range header.
Danny Buttle was causing the visitors no end of problems at set pieces and down the flanks... and it was from his left wing cross that Wells finally broke the deadlock, when his attempted header deceived everybody, probably including Kieran himself, while the ball glanced off of his neck and into the back of the net.
Shaw Lane conceded a few needless free kicks around the edge of their penalty... and from where I was stood, one inside it too, but the visitors just about managed to close ranks and keep a respectable looking margin (that didn't reflect the balance of play at all) of defeat intact.
Buttle and Wells combined again, but this time the latter made contact with his head and put the ball just wide of the upright... you know which part of your body to use in future Keiran!
Buttle continued to pose a threat in the final few minutes
As Shaw Lane tried closing ranks on the edge of their penalty area, Luke Fletcher unleashed a thumping shot that was only ever going to end up in one place... two-nil, game over!
FT: Handsworth Parramore 2 v Shaw Lane Aquaforce 0