Sunday 2 June 2013

Ex Footballers XI 10 v Famous People XI 3 - Charity Match At Glapwell FC

Sunday 2nd June 2013
at Hall Corner, Glapwell FC
8th Annual Jamie Walker Charity Game
Mansfield Town & Chesterfield XI (5) 10
Once Upon A Smile (2) 3
Admission £5, Programme £1,
Attendance quite a few
Click link for details of this charity game
Paul Cox and Paul Cook, the current managers of Mansfield Town and Chesterfield respectively, were due to play today, but in the event, both had to pull out through injury.
One team had some ex Stags and Spireites players in it, the other was made up of football playing celebrities, from soap operas, reality TV shows and pop groups that I've personally never heard of.
I'm told that a few TV stars from Waterloo Road, Hollyoaks and Being Victor were playing here today.
But I was far to polite to ask, what, where and who the bloody hell are Waterloo Road, Hollyoaks and Being Victor?
Tom Naylor and David Caldwell, two ex Stags
players from ever so slightly different eras
Nathan Arnold, ex of Mansfield Town but now of Alfreton Town, opened the scoring, with a brace of exhibition finishes and Shane Nicholson added a third, but I wasn't taking any notes and soon lost track of who scored when and in what order, though Northern Ireland international Jamie Ward, who currently plays for Derby County, did weigh in with four other goals, including one from the half way line.
I counted 10 goals for the Ex Footballers XI (including one I was told about that I missed when I nipped to the bar) and 3 for the Famous People XI, so that's the total I'm going along with.
I've subsequently asked the match organiser, a match official, two players and the most anally retentive statto type, speccy anorak in the known universe, what the final score was ... and I couldn't get a consistent answer, if I got any answer at all.
But today wasn't about keeping records and having to get the paperwork filled in correctly, it was about charity.
But, for posterity; I'm going to post that it was 10-3 on this here blog, which is recognised the world over, as the official arbitrator and final word on all things football ... so there ;-)
"Ooh look, it's that Jack Sugden's lad from Emmerdale and Shane Ritchie's son from real life" said an excited middle aged woman as I wandered by on my way to the ice cream van.
Hmm, I've heard of Emmerdale and even the Sugdens, but I have no idea which channel real life is on.
I'm not going to add this to my games total for the 2012-13 season, nor make it my first of the 2013-14, because to my way of thinking, it is a closed season charity game, sat in between the two.
But, it scratched a football itch and raised a decent sum of money for a couple of good causes, which is the main thing.