Saturday, 8 December 2012

Glapwell 2 v Harworth Colliery Institute 2 - CMFL North

Photo-Shop. Helping bloggers to doctor pictures since 1997
Saturday 8th December 2012
at Hall Corner, Glapwell
Central Midlands League North
Glapwell (1) 2
Kye Marty 9, Oliver Trigg 79
Harworth Colliery (1) 2
Tom Pick 30, Lloyd Wilkinson 54
Admission £3, Programme £1
Harworth warm up. Picture taken from the bar
It was good to see Harworth's club captain David Reeve at the game today, who has been sorely missed since he was seriously injured in the game at Sherwood Colliery.
It was of course Reevie's wonder goal, that had settled the last meeting between these two sides, click here for more details --> Harworth v Glapwell, starring David Reeve
This afternoon's encounter provided us with a couple of first class, top quality goals too.
Results elsewhere today, saw Harworth slip from second to fourth in the CMFL North, after this compelling game that could have gone either way.
The two respective sides, were well up for it today and the match officials richly deserved the praise they received from both camps after the game. So well done Wayne Hall ... err, I mean Gray, Derek Brumpton and Mrs Knight.
From the kick off, Harworth struggled to find any cohesion for a while, as Glapwell set off at a cracking pace, looking to make good of their home advantage.
Jason Truscott's side were nearly ahead inside the first five minutes, when Michael Smy tried his luck from on the edge of the area, but his rushed attempt went over the bar.
I've seen Glapwell's new right back Jordan Jones play a few times before, he's on loan from the Stags youth team and he is obviously relishing the opportunity of get some experience from playing in the CMFL on a Saturday afternoon.
Oi! You lot, the camera's over this side.
Jones created the first goal, when he played the ball through into the path of Kye Martey, as he burst into the Harworth box; Stuart Needham got his boot stuck in a sticky patch in the goal area and overstretched as he tried to clear the ball, which left Martey with a clear run on goal as he drilled the ball past Mark Latham.
To compound Needham's misery, he soldiered on for a while longer, but had to be withdrawn shortly afterwards with Shay Dunning coming on and slotting into his role.
I noticed that Craig Newton, recently signed from Teversal, was taking the corners for Glapwell, so I moved my car to a position of safety, just in case he was on free kick duty as well ;-)
The guy who owns the Kwik Fit car windscreen replacement shop on Chesterfield Road must be wringing his hands in gleeful anticipation.
From Chatty Man, to Hatty Man.
Harworth started to claw their way back into the game and started to make some in roads into the home sides final third. Tom Pick gave notice that Glapwell now had a game on their hands, when he headed the ball narrowly wide on 15 minutes.
But 'Glappy' weren't in any mood to sit back and trying containing their high flying visitors and they had obviously decided from the outset that the best form of defence, is to attack! And Mark Latham had to pull off an acrobatic save to tip yet another effort from Kye Marty over the crossbar.
Glapwell saw another effort clear the crossbar a few minutes later, when Ross Murcott hit the dressing rooms from just outside the box.
But then the tide turned and Harworth finished the first half well.
Alex Malong, who's impressed me whenever I've seen him play, pulled off a great stop, after James Woodward powered a header goal bound, from Tom Walker's free kick ... but Tom Pick was on hand to knock the rebound home and the Colliery were on level terms.
The home side went looking to restore their lead, but Harworth closed ranks at the back and limited their opportunities, when Michael Smy did make himself a yard of space in the area, his shot was, err ... 'quite' wide of the target.
After Tom Pick's strike, the visitors stepped up the ante and went looking for another goal before the break.
Pick went one against one with Malong, but the Glapwell keeper thwarted Tom this time.
Gareth Sides shot from just inside the home sides penalty area that flashed wide of the post.
Tom Walker steered a shot over from close range and Chris Belshaw, jinked his way past two challenges and blazed the ball narrowly over the bar.
To (re) coin an old phrase, it was now a half of two halves, with Glapwell starting the game well on top, but Harworth picking up momentum and finishing the first 45 minutes well.
HT - Glapwell 1 v. Harworth Colliery 1
CMFL website admin. please note, it's Mrs Danielle Knight, not Miss Danielle Miller. And Harworth play at Scrooby Road, not Scooby Road!
Oliver Trigg had the first chance of the first half, but his shot was well over the cross bar ... from a completely non neutral perspective, it was a shame the rest of his attempts on goal this afternoon couldn't have been like that!
But Harworth now had the bit between their teeth and Tom Pick, who was causing Glapwell all manner of problems with his runs into the box, crossed to Chris Belshaw, who nearly scored, but Alex Malong held onto the ball at the second attempt.
Malong had to be on his toes again soon afterwards, when he took a Belshaw corner off James Woodward's head, just when it looked as though the Harworth skipper was about to score.
After a spell of sustained Harworth pressure, their second goal finally came when Lloyd Wilkinson, hit a low blistering shot from exactly 32 yards out*, that dipped and swerved viscously, giving Alex Malong absolutely no chance at all of stopping it.
* Official distance of shot, provided by a completely impartial judge, who by way of a massive coincidence is called: Lloyd Wilkinson!
Harworth were in control for a while and both Belshaw and Wilkinson ought to have extended their lead, but then, the second half, became the polar opposite of the first 'half of two halves', and Glapwell, having weathered a bit of a storm for long spell, pushed forward looking for a way back into the game.
They created a few half chances, with some determined play in the last third, but on 79 minutes their equaliser was purely route one and a bit special too.
Alex Malong's long kick, deep into Harworth territory, was headed into the path of Oliver Trigg by Kye Marty and he thumped the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards out.
There is no way of defending against a shot like that.
While Glapwell were threatening to clinch all three points late in the game, Simon Brewster popped up at the other end, but Alex Malong got his angles right and kept the ball out.
Lloyd Wilkinson. AKA, err ... KS!
Either side could've got a winning goal right at the end ... and no doubt their will be people from both sides who will feel that their team deserved to win this game. But, the draw was probably a fair result in the end.
Glapwell and Harworth both had spells of the game where that they could've built on to force the issue, but over the whole 90 minutes, 2-2 was just about the right income.
All three teams: 'Glappy', the 'Colliery' and Wayne Gray (plus supporting cast), take a bow, that was a great advert for the CMFL North.
Harworth man of the match, hmm, Lloyd Wilinson did well to even play today, given the good kicking he got off of Yorkshire Main in midweek, but despite Lloyd's sublime goal, for the purposes of this report, I'm awarding it to Tom Pick, who was a thorn in Glapwell's side all afternoon, weighing in with a lot of unselfish work in and around the home sides area all afternoon.
Tom Pick, slightly more camera shy than Lloyd Wilkinson
Next up:
Weather permitting, I'm going for a paddle in the mud at the Oaklands Athletic Ground tomorrow morning, to watch Retford United U18's in action and take a look at whatever other games are in progress up there, or I'll be going Xmas shopping and visiting our lass's family instead ... yeah right!