Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Worksop Parramore 1 v Tadcaster Albion 2 - Baris NCEL Prem

Tuesday 18th September 2012,
at the Windsor Food Services Stadium, Babbage Way, Worksop
Baris Northern Counties East League - Premier Division
Worksop Parramore (0) 1
Lee Whittington 47
Tadcaster Albion (1) 2
Paul Sykes OG 87, Terry Taylor 90+
Admission £5, Programme 50p, Attendance 32
Thanks to Worksop Parramore's Match Secretary Paul Hill for the team line ups and to their Chairman Pete Whitehead, for the candid, refreshing, honesty and openness, much appreciated.

Worksop Parramore:
Steve Hernandez, Lee Thompson, Luke Smith, Paul Sykes, Scott Lowe, Adam Fretwell, Jordan Hatton, Luke Fedorenko, Lee Holmes, Lee Whittington, Will McGhie
Subs - Gareth Griffiths, Wesley Hill, Louis Ascell, Jamie Smith
Tadcaster Albion:
Scott Pallister, Paul James, Steve Jeff, Nathan Kamara, Matthew Sparkes, Ryan Qualter, Nick Thompson, Terry Taylor, Callum Ward, Stuart Rice, Josh Barrett
Subs - Danny Gray, Charlie Binns, Jon Creek

"A great game. A Great advert for the NCEL" said referee Hristo Karaivanov after tonight's match at the WFSS between league leaders Worksop Parramore and last season's runners up, Tadcaster Albion.
Both teams play the game with the ball on the deck and knock it around well and it was indeed, 'a great advert' for this level 5 league.
Pump it up!
Albion were straight on the front foot from the word go and the home side's keeper Steve Hernandez was soon in action, but after absorbing a spell of early pressure from their lively visitors, Worksop started to find their feet and push forwards themselves.
As a statement of intent, Paul Sykes picked out Luke Fedorenko with a precise pass and Parramore's number 8 smashed the ball against the crossbar.
Will McGhie curled the bar narrowly over the bar a few minutes later, from a free kick just outside the area.
McGhie was involved again on 25 minutes, when his corner from out on the right, found Lee Holmes at the back post, but Scott Pallister saved well from the Worksop centre forward's header.
Adam Fretwell conceded a free kick inside the final third. Tadcaster's Steve Jeff took the free kick and dropped the ball into the mix, but the move broke down and the ball was cleared, but only as far as Ryan Qualter, who had a speculative pop from 30 yards out, but he hit it straight at Steve Hernandez.
Will McGhie, out on the left flank, over hit a cross, but it nearly paid dividends when the ball crashed off the Tadcaster crossbar.
Jordan Hatton, Lee Holmes and Lee Whittington combined well as they passed their way from midfield into the danger zone, but Albion's back line held firm and got the ball away.
The game flowed one way and then the other and Steve Hernandez was soon in action again tipping a free kick from Steve Jeff onto the bar.
Just before the break, Jordan Hatton played the ball into the box, it bypassed Worksop's top scorer Lee Whittington, but fell nicely for Luke Fedorenko, who forced a great save out of Scott Pallister.
HT 0-0
The second half was a little over a minute old, when Luke Ferorenko charged down an attempted clearance by the Tadcaster defence, put in a block tackle and zipped the ball into the area from out on the left wing to Lee Whittington, who nonchalantly flicked the ball home with the outside of his right foot, to give the 'Parras' the lead.
Darren Bland's side had tightened things up at the back after the restart in an attempt to cut off Tadcaster's supply to their front men and it worked ... for a while at least.
Will McGhie came close to doubling Worksop's lead, but he shot narrowly wide.
Scott Pallister kept the visitors in the game with a great double save from Jamie Smith who had two attempts at beating Albion's keeper.
Minutes later Pallisterr thwarted Smith again, when he got down well to his left to keep out a shot from the edge of the box.
Paul Sykes appeared to have scored in the middle of a goalmouth scramble, but the referee ruled that the ball hadn't crossed the line and waved play on.

Time was running out for Tadcaster, but the Brewers aren't renowned for chucking the towel in and they haven't failed to score in any of their games this season yet either.
Following the introduction of Jon Creek from the bench, they had started making inroads into Parramore territory again.
Creek showed good skill to surge his way into the heart of the Worksop defence, but the home side cleared the danger.
With three minutes remaining, Albion won a free kick just outside the box, Parramore failed to clear their lines and in the middle of their frantic efforts to get the ball away, the ball cannoned off of their captain Paul Sykes and into the net.
"Ah well" said a Tadcaster supporter stood near me "You've got to say, that a draw is a fair result" and he was right, given the balance of play over the whole 90 minutes.
Doubtless though, his viewpoint would have changed inside the extra three minutes of stoppage time, when a long throw in from out on the left dropped perfectly for Terry Taylor who headed home Tadcaster's winning goal.
It was too late for Parramore to get back into the game and they were left to rue being undone by a resilient Albion side inside the last few minutes.
You could say, they also contributed to their own downfall by giving away an unnecessary free kick in a key position at a vital time, but what do I know, eh!?
Highly entertaining stuff all told.
I'll be back at the WFSS twice in the next few weeks when Worksop Parramore will be staging two Bassetlaw derby games.
The first, on September 25th, is against Retford United in the NCEL Premier Division and the second sees Harworth Colliery Institute visit the Babbage Way ground, in an eagerly anticipated Sheffield & Hallamshire Senor Cup game on October 8th.