Thursday, 26 April 2012

Staveley Miners Welfare 4 v Mickleover Sports 1 - CMFL Supreme Reserves League

Thursday 26th April 2012, at Inkersall Road
Windsor Foodservice Central Midlands Football League, Glenwood Printing Reserve Supreme Division (apparently, the trophy engraver has a *very* steady hand)
Staveley Miners Welfare (2) 4
Adam Houghton 3, Matt Langley
Mickleover Sports (1) 1
John Clarke
Admission, £2 Programme, 50p
Attendance, 30+ Weather, Tsunamiesque
Ta very much, to the ultra efficient Staveley MW Secretary Ele Reaney, for the team details and strong, hot coffee.
The relevant half of the team sheet - left click to enlarge image

Prior to kick off, Staveley's 'stiffs' needed just one win (or two draws) from their final six games, to clinch the Championship, following their 3-1 win over Heanor Town Reserves on Monday night at Inkersall Road, when Adam Houghton (2) and Matt Langley got the goals.
Tonight Adam Houghton went one better and netted a hat trick and Matt Langley weighed in again, with a late goal, on a night that Staveley Miners Welfare Reserves won (and retained) the League Title.
John Clarke scored Mickleover's consolation goal.
On a night that wasn't really fit for being outdoors, both teams deserve credit for putting on an entertaining game. That said, the margin of victory reflects the four to one ratio of chances the Blues side had over their visitors.
Top three as of 9.40pm 26th April 2012
Staveley MW - Played 24 - Points 68 - Goal Difference +67
Borrowash Vics - Played 27 - Points 56 - Goal Difference + 56
Belper Town - Played 24 - points 49 - Goal Difference + 33
Circumnavigating the deep puddles, flooded sections of road and torrential rain along the A619 towards north Derbyshire from Worksop, I honestly expected to arrive in Staveley to discover that the place was underwater (not just the football ground) and the game was off.
But, while games nearby at Worksop Parramore's Sandy Lane and Retford United's Cannon Park had fallen foul of the weather, the Inkersall Road pitch had, by some quirk of fate, managed to remain playable.
The goal area at the clubhouse end of the ground became a bit of a glue-pot towards the end of the second half, but the referee's decision that 'the show must go on' was completely right.
No doubt, there would've been more people in attendance at this 'Championship decider' game tonight, if it hadn't have been for the horrible climate, but not everybody has the same gung ho 'thrill seeker' mindset as me, that allows them to bypass any kind of common sense and head off out on the foulest of foul nights, on the off chance that a game might be on.
Or to paraphrase, I'm much sadder than most of you out there reading this.
It became apparent during the first half, that writing a report that encompassed all of the goal scoring opportunities that were created during the game, would require a War and Peace length epistle to squeeze it all in, never mind a brief blog overview.
So let's just say, Mickleover Sports created a few good chances and Staveley, well ... I lost count of how many they had.
Some brave goalkeeping, last ditch clearances and goalmouth action 'hampered by the difficult conditions', kept the final score down to 4-1 as the raids on goal came in thick and fast.
So, on to the actual goals.
15 minutes.
Scott Ellis provided a precision cross from out on the right flank that Adam Houghton headed home to open the scoring. 1-0
32 minutes.
Matt Langley tried his luck with a shot from 20 yards out, Chris Whiteley in the Sports gaol, got down to his right and blocked the shot, but Houghton was on hand again to tuck the rebound away. 2-0
41 minutes.
Following a flurry of action around the Staveley box, as the visitors looked to get a goal back before the break, the ball fell into the path of John Clarke out on the left hand side of the area. Confronted by several defenders and the Blues keeper Danny Whetton, Clarke opted not to take them on, but cleverly hoodwinked them all, by cheekily lobbing and scoring off the right hand upright. 2-1
Half time 2-1 ... and as the players walked towards the dressing rooms, the heavens opened again. Instead of walking round to the bar, we opted to stay under the roof of the stand, tucked away up against the sanctuary of the back wall.
Staveley captain Shaun Tuton

53 minutes.
Mickleover's Mark Nelson crossed from the right for Jamie Sparkes, who's goalbound header was cleared off the line by Joe Bytheway.
Staveley counter attacked quickly and Adam Houghton found himself one on one with Chris Whiteley and drilled the ball home to complete his hat trick. 3-1
Adam Houghton was then withdrawn, his rest was well earned.
Several more chances went begging and then on the hour Staveley were down to ten men when Shaun Tuton was dismissed, the second straight red card I've seen a Staveley player receive over the last few days.
Staveley's fire power was further depleted, when Kallum Nix had to go off, having been unable to shake off a knock he'd got early in the second half.
86 minutes.
Scott Ellis thumped a corner from the left hand side, into the vistors six yard box, the ball was cleared to the edge of the area, but fell invitingly for Matt Langley who gratefully bulged the back of the visitors net to claim the last of tonight's goals. 4-1
Congratulations Staveley Miners Welfare, Champions of the Windsor Foodservice Central Midlands Football League Glenwood Printing Reserve Supreme Division, again!
There's been a bit a dark cloud hanging over the club since the first team lost out to Dunston UTS in the FA Vase semi final.
Hopefully, the title win for the reserves, a vital development step between the Under 19s and first team (and a luxury that a lot of other local clubs don't even have), is a good omen for the future and recent set backs will be seen as a blip in the grand scheme of things for this progressive club, when (not if) they get themselves back on track.
Some of their 'old guard' of players have already moved on, having served the club well.
By the look of the Under 19 and Reserve team squads ,there are plenty of contenders capable of stepping up to the mark to fill their shoes.
Young left back Chris Fawcus captaining the first team at Cannon Park on Tuesday night being a case in point.

Next up:
Friday night's Doncaster Senior League, Premier Division Cup Final at Yorkshire Main, between Hemsworth Town and South Elmsall United Services is OFF because of a waterlogged pitch.
On Saturday I could turn up just about anywhere, so get the kettle on just in case.