Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Ollerton Town 2 v Mansfield Town U19 3 - Friendly

Wednesday 4th January 2012, at Walesby Lane
All proceeds raised at the gate and from the raffle are being donated to the Emma Stamp Charitable Trust
Ollerton Town (0) 2
Mansfield Town (2) 3
Matt Harris, Jack Hawkins, Clayton Brown
Admission £2 (or more if you wanted to make a bigger donation)
Attendance 108
A bloody horrible night weather wise.
108 was a very respectable attendance in such foul weather.
There were a few faces present tonight that I haven't seen at any Stags games for quite a while, most of who were here to pay their respects to Emma Stamp, a very popular young woman who followed the Stags all over the country and was a member of the Ollerton Stags.
Sadly, Emma passed away last month.
Ollerton fielded a fairly strong team tonight, made up of players from their Central Midlands Football League side, while the Stags were represented by Mansfield Town Under 19's.
It was nice to see, that in spite of the conditions and a shortage of covered facilities at Walesby Lane, even the Stags chairman and CEO, amongst other club officials, understood the significance of the occasion to the local supporters club and turned out, when many others had been put off by the wind and rain ... a gesture that didn't go unnoticed. Matt Harris fired the young Stags ahead early on, but for the most part the strong wind was making a mockery of any attempt by either side to keep the ball down and play football.
But they soldiered on never the less.
I feel praise is due to Rob Townsend, the the match referee and his assistants, for the way they controlled the game and did their level best to keep it moving along smoothly.
He's one of the best local refs, by a long way ... and that showed through his common sense approach tonight, in what must have been horrendous conditions to turn out in.
After a defensive lapse, any one of three Stags players could've scored just before the break, but it was Jack Hawkins who took responsibility from 8 yards out and made no mistake.
Half time, Ollerton Town 0 v Mansfield Town Under 19's 2Ollerton pulled a goal back after the break, it would be fair to say it was 'wind assisted'.
The original effort had a lot of back spin on it, but looked to be going several feet wide of the goal, when all of a sudden, a strong gust got hold of the ball and deceived the Stags keeper and back four at the last second ... and the ball nestled just inside the post.
Ollerton celebrated their good fortune, while the Stags cursed their luck.
However, there was nothing fluky or lucky about Ollerton's equaliser ... an 88th minute free kick from the edge of the box bulged the back of the net and it looked as though the Stags Under 19's were on course to emulate the first team's result at York on Sunday, when they drew 2-2 after being 2-0 ahead.
But with 90 minutes almost up, the ball fell kindly to Clayton Brown to the right of the Ollerton goal and he volleyed home a late winner for the visitors.