Monday, 8 February 2010

Worksop Town v. Ashton United - UniBond League Premier Division

Players car park, subliminal tobacco advertising perhaps?
Ok, you try finding something different to photograph for a change

Saturday 6th February 2010. UniBond League Premier Division
At the New Manor Ground, Ilkeston

Worksop Town (1) 1 (Tomlinson 45)
Ashton United (0) 1 (O'Neill 75)

Admission by Season Ticket. Programme £2. Attendance 137
Shrek 4

Elsewhere on Planet Football, Retford Town progressed in the Nottinghamshire FA Intermediate Cup by virtue of beating Samba FC 5-2 and are now through to the semi final.
Sutton Town AFC stunned their hosts Kirkby Town by winning 6-0 at the Summit Centre in the eagerly awaited CMFL local derby.
Over at Field Mill, while 7261 'paying' spectators took advantage of Mansfield Town's 'pay what you want' special offer admission scheme, the Stags failed to rise to the occasion and were beaten 2-0 by lowly Gateshead in the Blue Square Premier.
Ilkeston Town passed my house en route to a goalless draw at Gainsborough Trinity and I overtook Harrogate Town's team bus on the M1 as they were heading towards a 3-1 reversal at Alfreton Town.
I also saw a few Lincoln City fans heading to Chesterfield for their last ever visit to Saltergate, where the Imps lost 2-1 ... that's what you get for giving an ex Celtic player the managers job I s'pose!
Retford United surprisingly lost in one of my favourite town's in the whole universe, Whitby.
And north of the border, Montrose lost 5-1 in the Scottish Cup against some team who's name escapes me right now. Ross County beat Stirling Albion 9-0 in the same competition.
With all of this going on ... me, I went to Ilkeston to watch Worksop Town v Ashton United
Go on, admit it, you've often wondered what the River Erewash
behind Ilkeston Town's social club looked like ... haven't you?

I've been a 'wee bit' pre-occupied with some other rather sensitive business occurring in previously uncharted nether regions since Saturday night, so here is a delayed match report from the Tigers v Ashton United 1-1 draw.
Contain yourselves guys, there's loads more photos where this one came from.

Both teams made a lively start, with chances going begging at either end. Two of them fell to Ashton's Callum Flanagan, who was previously on Worksop Town's books ... today the curse of former Tigers players returning to score against them was finally exorcised and laid to rest.
Note to any other ex WTFC wannabe goal scorers out there, it isn't trendy to score against your old club any more, it's so last year now and no longer de rigueur ... so cease this outdated practice forthwith.
With half time just the width of the referee's lips away from his whistle, Ben Tomlinson spun and hit a snap shot from outside the box that caught United's keeper Terry Smith off guard and bounced past him into the bottom corner of the net.
Psychologically it was the perfect time to score. Source - The Almanac of Desperate Space Filling Clichés.
Another 'really fascinating' New Manor Ground picture ;-)

Early in the second half Smith and Tomlinson were in the thick of it again as they both raced into a face off for a 50/50 ball. The latter was booked, though the former appeared to have actually hurt himself kicking the Worksop striker.
The ball was there to go for and both players were entitled to challenge for it. And to that end I don't think Ben's attempt to get to the ball first warranted a booking.
Going by the amount of flak Smith got for the rest of the game (and when he left the field at the end of 90 minutes) from a section of the crowd stood near to the action, I suspect I'm not the only person who saw the incident the same way that I did, i.e. from a neutral perspective and not through even slightly amber tinted spectacles (ahem).
Ashton equalised on 75 minutes when Matty O'Neill whacked home a text book volley from inside the box, he'd attempted an header on goal from exactly the same position just a few minutes before, only to have been judged offside, but he had his bearings right at the second attempt.
The goal came in the middle of a spell of sustained pressure from the visitors that tested Jon Kennedy in the Tigers goal to the full.
United have been at the top of the UniBond League for a while earlier in the season and for spells they set about showing why, but right at the death it was the Tigers who nearly claimed all three points when Gary Townsend crashed a shot just over the cross bar ... a win for Worksop would've been very nice (once again, from a neutral perspective, of course), but on the balance of play a draw was just about the right result.
Ashton's goalkeeper Terry Smith organises his wall