Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Attenborough Cavaliers 3 v Ladybrook Local 1 - Notts FA Sunday Senior Trophy final

Tuesday 30th May 2017
Notts FA Sunday Senior Trophy Final
at Debdale Park, Sherwood Colliery FC
Attenborough Cavaliers (2) 3
Mark Green 44, 45 +
Nick Hawkins 70
Ladybrook Local (1) 1
Mark Carter 7
Admission & programme free. Attendance 200 ish
Deep in the heart of Sherwood Forest, on the excellent playing surface at Debdale Park, the home of Sherwood Colliery FC, neither team gave any quarter during this eagerly contested battle for the Notts Senior Sunday League final, played out between two attack minded teams.
The match referee, Mr Ian Dudley did really well to see to it that the game finished eleven aside, as certain individuals obviously had their own interpretation as to what the words 'attack' and 'minded' actually entailed.
But, if truth be told, a bit of rough and tumble and physicality added to the entertainment for the decent sized crowd who had turned out on a balmy (barmy?) night in Mansfield Woodhouse.
The 'Brook' took the game to Attenborough during the opening exchanges and went ahead through Mark Carter in the seventh minute, whose thumping angled shot took a deflection off of Ben Cheatle, that gave the 'Cavs' keeper, JakeWant no chance of reaching the ball, in spite of his best efforts.
Moments later, Carter saw his next attempt on goal narrowly clear the bar via another deflection, while Ryan Meehan had a goal disallowed because he had strayed narrowly offside.
Jack Upton was close to finding an equaliser when he hooked a twenty five yard shot just over the 'Local' goal and from the resulting goal kick, Carter broke forward again but this time his shot was blocked by Rich Dean.
Ladybrook looked as though they were taking a one-nil lead into the break, but right on the stroke of half time, a clinical double strike by Mark Green turned the game on it's head, as the 'Cavaliers drew level through a great solo strike from out on the right flank, after Cheatle had picked out Green with a long diagonal pass (that Glenn Hoddle would've been proud of) that bulged the top left hand corner of the net... and then took the lead in  stoppage time when Green was on hand to knock the ball home, after Fabio Gardella had parried the ball into his path.
HT: Attenborough 2 v Ladybrook 1
Mark Green. Two goals inside a minute.
Gardella did well to pluck Upton's in-swinging corner out from under his crossbar, while at the other end Craig Gould was unlucky to see his effort crash into the side netting after working his way through the 'Cavs' defence into a shooting position.
Jarrod Westcarr came on in the second half for Attenborough and his pace and close control were causing Ladybrook no end of problems as he pulled their defence all over the place, with Aidan Brady in support.
Westcarr delivered a right wing corner into the 'Brook' area that Jason Westwood appeared to have cleared away, but the ball fell invitingly for Nick Hawkins on the edge of the area and he crashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. 
Green played the ball out wide to Ryan Stak who knocked a defence splitting pass into the path of Beighton, but Carter had moved across quickly to get in a blocking tackle.
Marshalled by Westcarr, the 'Cavs' played the clock down by taking the ball into the corner and after two added minutes had elapsed, it was going to be Attenborough's name that would be added to the cup, in spite of Ladybrook looking for all the world like the most likely cup winners for the majority of the first half.
Ultimately though, the Cavaliers deservedly took the honours by virtue of some quality finishing.
FT: Attenborough Cavliers 3 v Ladybrook Local 1