Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Maltby Main 1 v Staveley MW 5 - NCEL LC3

Wednesday 19th October 2016
Toolstation NCEL League Cup 3rd Round
Maltby Main (0) 1
Ryan Carroll 48
Staveley MW (3) 5
Tyla Bell 8, 27
Tom Ellis 32
Adam Lee 84 pen, 90
Attendance 56
Dan Reilly. He makes a great half time brew.
Maltby Main:
Louis Jones, Craig Mitchell Callam Cheetham 70), Liam Flint, Nicky Darker, Dan Reilly (Reece Wesley 12), Derrelle Goodison, Jordan Poole, Shawn Mitchell, Josh Schofield, Ryan Carroll, Jordan Snodin (Ollie Lawrence 52)
Unused subs - John Stancliffe, Jack Greeves
Staveley MW:
Lewis Naylor, Ryan Duffy, Tom Ellis, Matt Robinson, Craig Getliff, Shaun Nesbitt (Jamie Coulson 83), Ash Rawson, Adam Le, Tyla Bell, Steve Carty (Kurt Morley HT)
Unused subs - Liam Nelthorpe, Luke Rafferty
Nicky Darker
"Maltby!?" Exclaimed a disgruntled Retfordian at Cannon Park last night, having read on this here blog, that I have been helping 'the Miners' out a bit of late; "How long does it take you to get there, instead of offering to work here!?"
Well I can't give you an exact time, but I turned on my Eight Track Cartridge Player on when I left home tonight and had listened to 'Silver Machine', 'The Cat Crept In', 'See My Baby Jive' and half of 'Sugar Baby Love' by the time that I pulled into the car park at Muglet Lane, so it's obviously a lot closer than a lot of people realise.
It's been fun getting involved at Maltby recently, albeit just a flying visit, to help out a couple of really down to earth local football stalwarts, who I hold in very high regard.
I tweeted at the weekend: Proper club Maltby, all straight talkers... no pretenders, egos and sneaky ****s. I reckon that pretty much sums the situation up.
Liam Flint
The visitors pretty much had the game sewn up by half time.
Playing a fairly direct game, though to be fair, the infamous Muglet Lane pitch cum orienteering course doesn't exactly lend itself to tippy tappy football, the Chesterfield based side defended with two deep rows of players strung across the pitch in a primitive, but effective 4-4-2 system and tried to get the ball forward quickly to Adam Lee, Steve Carty or Tyla Bell.
Possession wise there wasn't really a great deal in it, but whereas Maltby came unstuck trying to pick their way through a crowded defence, the Trojans weren't afraid to shoot from around the fringes of Louis Jones area and they stormed into a three goal lead, just after the half hour mark, by virtue of a trio of very well taken goals.
Reece Wesley
 Adam Lee created the first when he flicked the ball in Tyla Bell's path and he beat Jones with a dipping shot that Maltby could've have defended if they had a man covering each post.
Maltby's cause was hampered when their only recognised central defender, Dan Reilly twisted his knee and had to be replaced.
Shaun Nesbitt launched a long ball into the area that found it'sway through to Ash Rawson, who missed an absolute sitter. But on 27 minutes, Bell picked up the ball twenty five yards out and smashed it past Jones.
The visitors forced a couple of corners; the first one came to nothing because Jones was fouled, but the second found it's way to the edge of the area and Tom  Ellis rifled the ball into the roof of the net.
Nesbitt chased another lengthy punt towards the Maltby area, but Jones ran thirty yards off of his line to head the ball away.
HT: Miners 0 v Trojans 3
Louis Jones
A half time reshuffle by Spencer Fearn and his cohorts, saw Maltby playing a more rigid 4-3-3 and that seemed to quell any hopes that Staveley had of continuing with their shoot on sight tactics.
Three minutes after the interval, the Miners captain Nicky Darker launched a long throw across the visitors six yard box from out on the right wing and some sloppy defending allowed the ball to reach Ryan Carroll, a few yards from the back stick and he beat Lewis Naylor with a rasping shot that found the net having crossed the line by the left hand post.
The goal lifted the home side and Naylor had to move quickly to keep out Shawn Mitchell's shot, while Reece Wesley went close when he diverted a header over the bar from another long and accurate throw in by darker.
Jordan Snodin unleashed a stinging shot from twelve yards that beat Naylor but he shaved a layer of paint off of the right hand post as the ball whistled narrowly wide.
Shawn Mitchell
Sadly, just as the Miners were starting to look as though a second half comeback might be on the cards, Snodin had to limp out of the game.What a player he's going to be for Maltby when he's back to full fitness. 
Maltby knew that the fates had decreed they weren't going to progress to the fourth round, when Jordan Poole was just inches, nee centimetres away from connection with the ball a couple of feet away from the goal line after Cheetham had spotted him in space.
In the 84th minute, Bell fed the ball into Kurt Morley's path and he sprinted forward on the left before crossing towards a scrum of players on the edge of the box and the referee, Andrew Dallison blew his whistle for a penalty, having spotted an obstruction just inside the area. Technically, an obstruction offence just inside the area, should actually be punished by awarding an indirect free kick.
But it wasn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to the final outcome now either way and Adam Lee picked his spot well and made it 1-4 with his penalty kick, to put a bit of gloss on the score for the visitors.
Bell showed good feet before threading a pass to Lee in the first minute of stoppage time and he swept the ball past Jones to claim a fifth... I used to like you Adam Lee!
FT: Maltby Main 1 v Staveley Miners Welfare 5
Was the four goal winning margin flattering for the visitors? Definitely if you only took the balance of play in the second half into consideration, but the quality of the visitors finishing before the break just about warranted the result.
Image result for spencer fearn the66pow
I did get a quote from the Maltby manager Spencer Fearn at full time, but this is a family orientated football blog, so although I agreed with him 110%, I shall keep a discreet counsel and spare you all the potty mouth stuff.
It wouldn't be right of me to say too much about other people's personal business; but today, somebody at the football club's wife was given the all clear from having breast cancer. 
Maltby lost a game of football tonight, but so what!? There was only really one result we were all more concerned about today.
Maltby Main are back in league action at the weekend, away at Harrogate Railway Athletic. And I'm going to be back doing my bit with Mansfield Town's development teams, but I'm already looking forward to seeing all my pals at Muglet Lane again very soon. It's been a blast!