Friday, 15 April 2016

Harworth Colliery 3 v Worksop Town 1 - HKL NMU19L North

Friday 15th April 2016
HKL North Midland U19 League (North)
Jones & Co. Recreation Ground, Scrooby Road, Bircotes
Harworth Colliery (1) 1
Callum Hudson 39, Marley Alder 74, 79
Worksop Town (1) 3
Mason Gee 43,
Admission £2 Programme 50p Attendance 46
Lee Danysz and Bren Wilson, HCFC first team management
team checking out the available talent in the Under 19 team
Harworth Colliery
Josh Court, Ross Taylor, Tom Hawkridge, George Agnew, Chad Jacobs, Marley Alder (C), Brett Garrett, Callum Hudson, Jordan Camm, Morgan Rubie, Bailey Armstrong
Subs - Louis McGuire, Alex Hawkridge, Dec Jacobs, Ross Wicks, Daniel Fitzackerley
Worksop Town:
Brandon Pritchard, Jack Roper, Cameron Mitchell, Beau Nicholson, Aaron Pickersgill, Max Sykes, Josh Allerton, Scott Wesley, Mason Gee, Sam Stevenson, Declan Stevens
No subs
This was first ever game to be played at Scrooby Road, minus the backdrop of the Harworth Colliery tower, that was demolished earlier this week.
Obviously, being from Harworth, the construction was as 'ard as nails and withstood the first hammering of explosives it received on Tuesday, when it merely swayed briefly, stood defiantly against the world and metaphorically growled "Is that all you've got!?"
It was another 24 hours before it finally hit the deck and another landmark was lost to the village skyline, gone the same way as the Institute that was raised to the ground in a blaze of fire several years ago.
The weather tonight was disgusting.
I haven't seen rain as bad, or as prolonged as this in years.
The lads (and match officials) who battled it out through the deluge that never let up once throughout the entire game, have nothing but my complete admiration.
Even though Worksop Town were staging a fundraising event tonight, a Gary Barlow tribute act no less that would've accounted for all of the Take That fans at the club chickening out of a short trip across the A1 tonight, and no doubt the precipitation was responsible for decimating the attendance for this local derby fixture.
There was a significant 'prize' at stake tonight, that went beyond mere local bragging rights (a lot of the players know each other well away from football circles too), because as a consequence of tonight's result, the losers would finish bottom of the North Midlands U19 League, as the two bottom clubs went head to head.
Of course, this is development league football, where the results aren't of paramount importance and lag someway behind the aims of nurturing young talent, but even though both of these sides embrace that philosophy and have achieved their main aim of producing players who have linked up with their respective first team squads this season, nobody ever really wants to come last, regardless of the pros and cons of it all.
Worksop should've been in front inside the opening five minutes, but Beau Nicholson headed wide from a corner, meanwhile at the opposite end Marley Alder repeated the same trick moments later and nodded the ball over the bar from close range.
Mason Gee saw off the attentions of Ross Taylor, who was battling for the ball as is his wont, but shot wide from thirty yards when he got a sight of goal.
The Tigers survived a couple of scares, when George Agnew drilled the ball across the face of the Worksop goal but nobody could get a touch on it and from the Colliery's Brandon Pritchard had to turn Bailey Armstrong's inswinging cross over his bar as it threatened to sneak in to the roof of his goal.
Dec Stevens pounced on a defensive slip on the edge of Harworth's area, but Josh Court ran out to save bravely at his feet.
In the 39th minute, Harworth swept forward in numbers and Callum Hudson calmly planted the ball past Pritchard from twenty yards out. The Worksop keeper got a touch but not enough of one.
The Colliery lead was only short lived however, because four minutes later Mason Gee broke free on the left hand edge of Court's area and curled a great shot into the top corner of the net.
HT: Harworth Colliery U19 1 v Worksop Town U19 1
Harworth upped their tempo after half time and with Worksop tiring in the strength sapping conditions, weith no substitutes to call on, they were there for the taking, especially when they went down to ten men after 56 minutes with Cameron Mitchell limping back to the changing room early after suffering from a knock.
But all of that aside, Harworth were good value for this win that lifted them off of the bottom of the table, especially in the second half.
Pritchard did well to keep Agnew's free kick out, just after the interval, as Harworth began to turn the screw. Jordan Camm slashed a shot across the face of the visitors goal that went narrowly wide of the right hand post.
And when Worksop did get forward and Court denied Dec Stevens, the home side broke away immediately and Agnew fired into the side netting. The Harworth number four was unlucky not to get on the score sheet today.
The Tigers defence was under siege for a while and they rode their luck when Morgan Rubie and Camm almost squeezed the ball across the line by the left hand post amid a goalmouth scramble.
The visitors finally buckled on 74 minutes, leaving Marley Alder free to pick his spot and put the Colliery back in front. Once again, Pritchard got a despairing touch to the ball on it's way in.
Five minutes later, the Harworth skipper all but put the game beyond Worksop's reach, when he turned home Bailey Armstrong's cross from eight yards out.
The home side finished with a flourish and Ross Taylor almost added a fourth from Alder's through ball but Pritchard did well to keep the score down and was called into action again in the closing stages as he kept out Rubie's angled shot.
Right at the death Bailey Armstrong attempted a scissor kick as the Harworth lads grew in confidence and stature, but though he made contact with the ball, he couldn't get enough power into his effort.
FT: Harworth Colliery U19 3 v Worksop Town U19 1
Massive kudos to everyone who braved the elements tonight.
Call me weird if you want to, but I really enjoyed my birthday night out in Bircotes on this wet and windy night.