Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Frickley Athletic 5 v Buxton 1 - EvoStik NPL Prem

Tuesday 9th February 2016
Evo-Stik Northern Premier League - Premier Division
SW Jackson Utilities Stadium, Westfield Lane, South Elmsall
Frickley Athletic (1) 5
Sam Akeroyd 23 seconds
James Walshaw 52, 80
Tom Davie 60
Luke Hinsley 66
Buxton (1) 1
Brad Barraclough 20
Admission £9. Programme £2. Attendance 259
Frickley Athletic:
Sebastian Malkowski, Tom Davie, Steven jeff, Luke Hinsley, John Cyrus, Macaulay Parkinson, Sam Akeroyd (Chris Wood 77), Simon Lenighan, Jacob Hazel, James Walshaw, Tyler Williams (Jack Wakefield 84).
Unused subs - Brad Grayson, Lee Stratford, Jon Hood.
Myles Wright, Glenn Belezika (George Grayson 56), Jamie Green, Ricky Ravenhill, Joel Bembo-Leta, Greg Young, Alastair Taylor, Spencer Harris, Brad Barraclough, Ash Burbeary (Alex Wiles 9), Niall Doran.
Unused subs - Ash Worsfold, Fabrice Bembo-Leta, Tim Ryan.
Frickley Athletic are currently enjoying their best season for at least a decade and the feelgood factor around the place hits you like a good lungful of fresh air as you enter 'the Wembley of the North', or the SW Jackson Utilities Stadium to give it it's full title.
Their is a cage erected around the players tunnel at this South Elmsall enclosure, to protect the locals of a cheery, articulate and placid disposition from angry and snarling match officials.
Simon Lenighan has returned to Westfield Lane from Rotherham United and on tonight's evidence he is going to be a really good re-acquisition for Karl Rose's side.
An explosive start from the home side, saw them take the lead inside the first minute, when Sam Akeroyd 'squeaked' the ball through a narrow gap by the right hand post as the Blues tore into Buxton right from the off.
Things went from bad to worse for Martin McIntosh's side, when their captain Greg Young was shown a straight red card for taking a kick at Jacob Hazel.
Despite their shaky start, dismissal of their skipper seemed, ironically, to galvanise the Bucks and in the twentieth minute, Brad Barraclough got his head to the second of two free kicks from Jamie Green out on the left flank and the visitors were level.
It happens so often, that when a team go down to ten men, they up the ante. And Buxton more than held their own for the remainder of the first half and you would never have known they were at a numerical disadvantage.
But after the break, Frickley ripped them apart with a solid and dominant display.
HT: Blues 1 v Bucks 1
Seven minutes into the second half, with Buxton laying deep in a bid to preserve the possibility of a draw, they were caught out when James Walshaw picked up on a long pass cum clearance from Sebastian Malkowski that dropped over his shoulder a couple of yards outside the Bccks penalty area and drilled the ball past Myles Wright.
On the hour, Tom Davie got onto the end of Walshaw's flick from Sam Akeroyd's left wing corner and increased Frickley's lead with a shot from inside the six yard box to make it 3-1.
The Blues were rampant now and the home fans were lapping it up.
Six minutes later Akeroyd undid the visitors with another flag kick from the left flank and the Blues captain Luke Hinsley nudged a header in at the near post to claim Frickley's fourth.
Buxton were on the ropes now, displaying the same sort of body language you'd expect from a past his retirement age Boxer in the swansong of his career, taking a standing count.
But Karl Rose's side kept jabbing away in search of that final knockout blow.
They were a joy to watch tonight at times. Yes! Frickley... a joy to watch. Believe it!
Sam Akeroyd was substituted in the 77th minute and the Westfield Lane showed their approval as he left the pitch... and rightly so, his input had been immense.
Luke Hinsley saw the Bucks guard drop one last time and... whack!
He picked out Walshaw with a free kick from out the left and Buxton were on the canvas, as the Blues number ten turned the ball past Wright again.
The damage had been done now and with the game over as a contest, Friickley sat back and comfortably saw the game out.
Buxton's misery was further compounded when Seb Malokowski saved Ricky Ravenhill's penalty inside the last three minutes, after the Blues keeper had tangled with Alistair Taylor as they both went for the ball on the edge of the box.
FT: Frickley Athletic 5 v Buxton 1
I can't remember the last time I saw Frickley play as well as they did in the second half.
It was probably way back in time, when they were still a Gola League side.
It was REALLY good to catch up with so many great people again at Westfield Lane tonight.
And it's a shame that I'm up for work at 5.30AM in the morning, or I would still be there now.
Ladies and Gents I salute you all, thanks, as always, for the incredibly warm welcome.