Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Newark Town 2 v Dinnington Town 1 - CMFL Floodlit Cup

Wednesday 16th December 2015
Central Midlands League Floodlit Cup
at Station road, Collingham
Newark Town (2) 2
Tyler Martin 35, 42
Dinnington Town (0) 1
Will Morris 90ish
Admission £3. Programme £1
Newark Town:
Sam Russell, Joe Parker, Joe Powell, Andrew Smith, Craig Roche (C), Sam Wilford, Jammy Lloyd, Ricky North, Tyler Martin, Danny Purves, Rhys Stanley
Subs - Will Fry, Vlad Dadu, Francis McGregor, Cody Donnelly
Dinnington Town:
Kieron Greenwood, Will Morris, Kirk Bradshaw (C), Nathan Murphy, Shawn Edwards, Ben Colman, Nicky Holland, Tom Chambers, Joe Colman, Ryan Smythe, Tom Eccleston,
Subs - Adam Rotherforth, Matt Sanderson
'Kinnel! He's a big 'un!
A pleasantly mild mid December night descended on Collingham, where where we basked in subtropical temperatures, that reached the giddy heights of plus 14 degrees.
Newark's Tyler Martin showed some good touches early on for the home side and it wasn't really any surprise that his input had a big influence on the eventual outcome of this closely contested game.
Rhys Stanley and Tom Eccleston had a speculative long range shots at the respective ends of the ground that their teams were attacking in the opening exchanges, but neither effort troubled either goalkeeper.
Jammy Lloyd played the ball forward down the right flank into the path of Danny Purves who whipped a cross over to Martin, but the referee blew up for a foul on the Dinnington keeper Kieron Greenwood, as the Newark striker headed the ball into the roof of the net.
Newark created the opening goal on 35 minutes when Lloyd, Sam Wilford and Rhys Stanley passed their way through the Dinnington defence and Martin provided the finishing touch.
'Dinno' tried to respond immediately, but when Ryan Smythe slipped the ball forward to Tom Eccleston, Wilford nipped in and took the ball away just in time.
Newark ventured forward and finished the first half strongly. Martin knocked home his second goal from the edge of the area, catching everybody out in the process.
Greenwood got down well to turn Stanley's shot around the post after Purves had played him in on goal.
Purves delivered two corners in quick succession into the visitors six yard box; Greenwood got his hands to the first and pushed it out of play, while Martin headed the second one inches wide of the upright.
HT: Newark Town 2 v Dinnington Town 0
Newark went on the attack straight from the restart and Wilford knocked a sublime defence splitting pass through to Martin who was denied a hat trick by Greenwood.
Stanley and Purves combined to set up a half chance for Ricky North, but the visitors defenders crowded him out and cleared the danger.
Tom Eccleston broke forward and was one on one with Newark's keeper Sam Russell, but the home side's number one stood his ground and held onto the ensuing shot.
Minutes later Eccleston charged forward at pace again and tried his luck from twenty yards, but none of his team mates had kept up and there was nobody to pounce when Russell could only parry the ball, but recovered to hold onto it at the second attempt.
Martin shot at Greenwood and when Dinnington countered, Russell denied Shawn Edwards.
Did you just kick the ball at
Andy Saunders car on purpose?
One of the Newark substitutes, Will Fry, saw Greenwood venturing from his line and tried to audaciously chip the ball over the visitors keeper... I think some audacious chipping practice might be in order before he tries pulling that off again.
Out of the blue, Dinnington grabbed a goal back right at the end... as Will Morris drilled the ball past Russell from long range... it was a quality strike.
Fry found himself through on the advancing greenwood again and this time he lobbed the ball over the keeper and it bounced just wide of the upright... an infinitely better technique than he'd used a few minutes earlier.
The visitors instilled some urgency into their game, spurred on by their goal, but it was too late for them to make any further in roads and Newark now progress into the next round of the cup.
It had been a keenly contested and close game in the main, but on the overall balance of play Newark had probably deserved their narrow win.
FT: Newark Town 2 v Dinnington Town 1