Monday, 26 May 2014

England 2 v Scotland 1 - UEFA U19 Championship Qualifier

Monday 26th May 2014
at the Pirelli Stadium, Burton upon Trent
UEFA U19 Championship, Elite Qualifying Group
England (0) 2
Lewis Baker 76. 82
Scotland (0) 1
John Soutter 51
Admission £3, Programme £2.50 (covering six games)
Attendance 835
1 Christian Walton (Brighton & Hove Albion), 3 Matthew Targett (Southampton), 5 Lloyd Jones (Liverpool), 6 Shay Facey (Manchester City), 15 Ola Aina (Chelsea); 4 Lewis Baker (Chelsea), 17 Harrison Reed (Southampton); 7 Jordon Ibe (Liverpool), 11 Josh Murphy (Norwich City); 9 Chuba Akpom (Arsenal).
Substitutes: 18 Callum Robinson (Aston Villa) for Reed, 58; 14 Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) for Jones, 71; 16 Brendan Galloway (MK Dons) for Murphy, 85.
Unused Subs - 13 Cameron Dawson (Sheffield Wednesday), 8 John Swift (Chelsea), 10 Sam Gallagher (Southampton), 12 Devante Cole (Manchester City).
1 Ryan Fulton, 13 George McLennan, 3 John Souttar, 14 Dominic Hyam, 5 Stephen Hendrie; 16 Adam King (C), 8 Jamie Lindsay; 11 Ryan Gauld, 10 Liam Henderson, 7 Sam Nicholson (Heart of Midlothian), 9 Denny Johnstone.
Substitutes: 15 Charles Telfer for Nicholson) 52; 18 Harry Cardwell Johnstone 69; 2 Ryan Sinnamon for Hendrie 81.
Unused Substitutes - 4 Scott McKenna, 6 Darren Petrie, 12 Liam Kelly, 17 Cameron Smith.
England Under 19's thrashed Montenegro 6-0 at Walsall on Saturday.
That result appeared to have made Noel Blake's team slightly complacent about their approach to tonight's game.
The first half was a frustrating affair, with only a few clear cut chances.
Jordan Ibe broke down the right wing and crossed for Josh Murphy, but the Norwich City winger hooked the ball over the crossbar.
Ibe himself, had a shot well held by Ryan Fulton after he'd been played in on goal courtesy of a Ola Aina through ball.
Lewis Baker played a short free kick to Harrison Reed and their dead ball routine almost led to the deadlock being broken, but Reed's stinging shot flew just wide of the left hand upright.
HT - England 0 v Scotland 0
Buoyed on by England's lethargic first half and profligate finishing, Scotland came out at the start of the second half looking confident ... however their opening goal on 51 minutes, when Souttar headed home at the back post only acted as a wake up call for England, who from then on in, virtually took control of the game, but as they recorded a catalogue of near misses and woodwork strikes, it began to look as though their increased work rate and emphasis on attack after the break, might come to nothing, until Lewis Baker claimed two goals inside the final fifteen minutes.
Check out the video footage (below) to see how well he took both of them.
FT - England 2 v Scotland 1
England now need a draw against Ukraine (also at Burton), while Scotland face Montenegro (at Walsall), both games kick off at 3pm o Thursday. Hmm, don't expect a new high attendance record to be set then, what a stupid kick off time that is!