Monday, 20 May 2013

Sutton Town AFC 0 v Clifton All Whites 1 - CMFL South

Monday 20th May 2013
at Bilsthorpe Sports Ground, Eakring Road, Bilsthorpe
Central Midlands League (South)
Sutton Town AFC (0) 0
Clifton All Whites (0) 1
Craig Charlesworth OG 76
Admission £3, programme, there weren't any when I arrived, but Sutton gave out team sheets to anybody who wanted one.
Sutton Town:
Gav Saxby, Richard Guest, Nathan Hollingworth, Craig Charlesworth, Michael Hewitt, Jamie Batty, Richard Giles, Chris Rhodes,Craig Mitchell, Andy White, Gary Atkin
Subs -Dean Sweeney, Dave Gilliatt, Chris Hewitt, James Whitehead, Gary Webster
Clifton All Whites:
Jake Want, Ashley Way, Andy Davies, Lee Torr, Tony Murray, Connor Hardy, Sam Leggitt, Craig Anderson, Rob Gill, Carl WEst Carr, Alex Haughton
Subs - Chris Langham, Levi Ramsey
A victory for Sutton tonight would've seen them crowned as champions, but they now have to win at Holbrook St. Michaels on Wednesday night, or Pinxton will win the title instead.
I never really went too deeply into finding out why the CMFL had ruled that Sutton would give up home advantage and play at Bilsthorpe tonight instead, but it seemed like a strange decision to me given that the CMFL South title was up for grabs tonight.
But the rationale and logic behind the change of venue comes under the heading of 'other peoples business' and that is one place I never dip my oar.
The first half was very uneventful and was in stark contrast to the Clifton game I saw just a couple of days ago. But there were a few heavy tackles and a fair bit of posturing going on, so at least I could put a few more ticks in my I-Spy book of lenient refereeing.
Sometimes, it must be difficult for match officials, when they tread that very narrow dividing line, between trying to keep the game flowing and accepting that some contact is bound to occur, and letting things get out of hand by not taking a firm stand and setting a precedent of a fair firm but fair application of the rules. early in the game, to remind the players who the boss is.
Hmm, so that just about summed up the opening 45 minutes.
Early in the second half, Craig Charlesworth and Andy White respectively hit the cross bar and right hand upright between them, from a right wing corner, to squander Sutton's two joint best goal-scoring opportunities of the night.
The near miss(es) woke Clifton up and they soon created a chance of their own, but Gav Saxby saved well from Sam Leggitt.
In the 59th minute, Tony Murray crashed the ball past Saxby and charged 40 yards back down the pitch celebrating, until he realised that everybody else on the pitch was stood with their hands on their hips staring at him in a bemused fashion and that his effort had been disallowed.
On 76 minutes, Craig Charelesworth unchallenged and unwittingly, put a simple clearance into his own net. Gav Saxby didn't stand a chance of saving it. At least Tony Murray, with his imaginary goal celebration wasn't the most embarrassed man on the pitch any more.
As the game wound down to it's conclusion, not that it had ever really been wound up, Gary Webster delivered a great cross to Craig Mitchell, but he headed the ball straight into the arms of Jake Want.
FT - Sutton Town AFC 0 v Clifton All Whites 1
The result of Wednesday night's game at Holbrook St. Michaels, will now determined where the southern division title will go.
Woo hoo! There's going to be a last day drama at my final game of the season.