Sunday, 31 March 2013

Gainsborough Trinity U18 4 v Sleaford JFC U18 1 - LIFL Premier & Andrew Bandelow Memorial League Cup

Sunday 31st March 2013, at the Northolme
LIFL Premier  Andrew Bandelow Memorial League Cup
Gainsborough Trinity U18 (2) 4
James Walters, Lynton Karkach (pen),
Terrence Komby, Charlie Mann
Sleaford JFC U18 (1) 1
This afternoon's game was a 'double header'.
This was agreed to help alleviate a problem that virtually all leagues are suffering from, namely, a fixtures backlog.
Unlike the last 'double header' I saw in this league, when Bottesford Town played Lincoln United twice in back to back games at Birch Park, on the same day, today's one off fixture's result would stand for two matches, namely: the repeatedly postponed Sleaford JFC v Gainsborough Trinity, Andrew Bandelow Memorial League Cup Quarter Final and today's scheduled Lincolnshire Intermediate League Premier Division fixture.
Trinity were good value for this fairly straightforward win, the visitors keeper had a very busy afternoon and it was no surprise to anybody, when the home side took the lead on 10 minutes, when James Walters headed home a left wing cross.
The Gainsborough captain, Ward Wisdom-Lockwood, looks to have all the attributes that will stand him in good stead when the time comes to stepping up to the senior team, he reads the game well, has a great touch and physically, he is very strong for an 18 year old.
Sleaford nicked an equaliser, when the Trinity keeper had the misfortune of air kicking a gentle back pass as it bounced unkindly at the last moment over his foot, it presented the visitors centre forward with the simplest of tap ins into an open and unguarded goal. Ironically, that was Sleaford's only effort on target for the entire first half.
On 23 minutes, Trinity were back in front when James Walters was chopped down as he advanced on the visitors goal and Lynton Karkach made no mistake from the resultant penalty.
In common with their first team 24 hours earlier, Trinity should have had a few more goals before the break, but had to be content with a 2-1 half time lead.
Seven minutes into the second half, a Trinity player pulled up in pain as he ran to fetch the ball for a throw in, in front of the Carlisle Street Terrace.
Thankfully, subsequent reports, suggest that his injury won't be as serious as the suspected snapped hamstring, it initially appeared he might have suffered.
A blanket was sent over to keep him warm and an ambulance was called for, which arrived 40 minutes later, to take the casualty to hospital.
After the restart it seemed to take the players a while to get back into their stride as the temperature started to drop.
But inside the last ten minutes, Terrence Komby slotted a shot under the Sleaford keeper as he spread himself to cover the angled shot and then Charlie Mann made the points and place in the next round of the cup safe with virtually the last kick off the game.
Further updates and news on Gainsborough Trinity Under 18s can be found on the Trinity fans forum, though you might want to avoid some of the bickering and infighting threads on there if you choose to visit this active and very lively message board.
FT - Gainsborough Trinity 4 v Sleaford JFC 1