Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Mansfield Town 2 v Stalybridge Celtic 1 - FCYA North

Wednesday 31st October 2012, 2pm kick off
At Kirklington Road, Rainworth Miners Welfare FC
Football Conference Youth Alliance (North)
Jordan Vilums 4, 
Lewis Chambers 39
Jordan Leacia 63
Admission £3
Mansfield Town:
Ryan Hopkins, Jordan Jones, Blake Vincent, Liam Marsden, Ben Birch, Kurtis Turner, Nuha Jabbi, Jack Hawkins (Matt Jones), Joe Flint (Matt Harris), Lewis Cyhambers (Remi Davies), Jordan Vilums
Unused subs - Dean Robinson, Ross Lamb, Jason Gregory, Dan Williams
Stalybridge Celtic:
Antony Windle, Ryan Slack, Ryan Hart, Louis Smith, Tyler Cameron, Dominic Wolsby, Connor Brett (Liam Paggett), Alec Mucinu, Jordan Leacia (Jimmy Morgan), Alec Androns, Terence Katachoul
Unused sub - Ollie Townsley
Mansfield returned to the top of the Football Conference Youth Alliance, on the back of this narrow win, while Celtic remain rooted to the bottom of the table.
The slim margin of victory doesn't really reflect the balance of play over the 90 minutes, that swung heavily in the Stags favour. But, if truth be told, Stalybridge very nearly claimed a point right at the end when a last ditch save from Ryan Hopkins kept out a long distance pile driver from Ryan Hart.

On a bitterly cold afternoon, Jordan Vilums gave the Stags an early lead, when he broke into the Stalybridge area from the left hand side and slotted the ball home from just inside the six yard box.
The small crowd who had turned out, moved undercover as the rain started and sat back waiting for Mansfield's youngsters to take the game to their lowly opponents, but the expected onslaught never really materialised.
Jack Hawkins came close to adding to the Stags lead with a header and Joe Flint shot narrowly wide, but at the other end Ryan Hopkins was seeing far more of the ball than he'd probably expected to.
Jordan Leacia came really close to grabbing an equaliser, but he headed over the crossbar from close range. It was a bit of a let off for the young Stags and it sprung the 'home' side into life.
Joe Flint's searching pass found Lewis Chambers in the visitors area and he shrugged off the attentions of a defender to make the score 2-0 on 39 minutes.
Half time came and despite having had far more possession than Stalybridge, Mansfield had struggled to find the final killer ball in the last third and had to be content with a two goal half time lead.
HT 2-0
The Stalybridge keeper Anthony Windle, pulled off a quality save (above) right at the start of the second half to turn Joe Flint's header on to the crossbar, after Flint had got on the end of a pin point free kick from Blake Vincent.
The Stags were still having most of the ball but Stalybridge Celtic were proving to be a resilient outfit and managed to keep the ball out of harms way from a number of corners and set pieces.
Then the visitors counter attacked ...
Jordan Leacia scoring for Stalybridge

Alec Muchinu stroked the ball into the path of Jordan Leacia and the Celtic number 9 belted the ball home via the right hand upright. 2-1.
The goal caught Mansfield completely by surprise and it had a galvanising effect on the visitors who raised their game no end now.
The Stags had been all over Stalybridge for most of the game, but were now in very real danger of being punished for not turning the percentage of play they had, into goals.
Celtic's right back Ryan Slack, sensed a seemingly unlikely comeback might not be such a pipe dream after all and went for glory, but his effort flew over the goal.
Adam Murray and Richard Cooper, overseeing this afternoon's game as the Youth management team, swapped things around and substitute Remi Davies forced a somewhat unorthodox save out of Antony Windle. I guess it doesn't matter how you stop the ball, as long as you do!
Luckily for Mansfield, when Stalybridge next attacked, Alec Mucinu fired the ball straight into the arms of Ryan Hopkins.

Matt Harris had an effort saved by the Celtic keeper (above) and Kurtis Turner almost made it three one, but right at the death, the Stags had Ryan Hopkins to thank for hanging on to all three points, when he pulled off a great save from a long range Ryan Hart save. Phew!
For a side who were dominant for the the majority of the game, the young Stags made hard work of it right at the death, but they still held on for the win.
FT 2-1
TONIGHT 7.45pm - DN11 8JT