Saturday, 20 October 2012

Harworth Colliery Institute 2 v Glapwell 1 - CMFL North

Saturday 20th October 2012,
At Scrooby Road Recreation Ground, Bircotes, DN11 8JT
Central Midlands League (North)
James Woodward 41, David Reeve 65
Callum Green 12
Admission £3, Programme £1
Harworth Colliery Institute : Mark Latham, Jordan Hardman, Simon Brewster (Tom Padgett 66 mins), James Woodward, Stuart Needham, Craig Anderson, David Reeve, Tom Walker (David Cornthwaite 90 mins), Gareth Sides, Tom Pick, Paul Burns.
Unused sub - Scott Hardman
Glapwell : Alex Malong, Tim Grundy, Rob Holland, Tom Robley, Andy Bingley, Gareth Vardy, Craig Humphreys, Waine Bexton, Michael Smy (Toby Birch 85 mins), Callum Green, Josh Goodhand (Ash Barber 69 mins).
Unused subs - Ross Murcott, Dan Cresswell
There really wasn't very much to choose between the two sides this afternoon and not an awful lot of clear cut, goal scoring chances either, if truth be told.
I thought that Glapwell just about shaded the first half possession wise, but James Woodward's timely equaliser just before the break, when he mislaid his compass and ended up in the Glapwell half of the pitch by mistake, came at a crucial time and set the home side up for a slightly improved second half performance.
Glapwell's goal came on 12th minutes, when Waine Bexton gave Callum Green the opportunity to head home from just outside the six yard box.
Utterances of "It's too easy for them" and "where's the challenge Harworth" were overheard by my delicate ears as I noted Green's name in my notebook.
Jordan Hardman broke down the right hand side and launched a cross into the mix that Paul Burns narrowly failed to get his head to. And then Tom Walker held off two challenges and made himself the space to shoot, but knocked the ball narrowly wide of the left post.
It looked as though the visitors might add a second goal, but when Josh Goodhand put Callum Green through in the 21st minute, Mark Latham got his angles right and saved the Glapwell number 10's effort.
The remainder of the first half turned into a bit of a stalemate, with neither side really make much of an impression attack wise, until just before the break, when Tom Walker's cross from out on the right, was headed goalbound by James Woodward and found it's way into the net via a slight deflection that wrong footed Alex Malong in the Glapwell goal.
HT - Harworth Colliery 1 v Glapwell 1
It might have been ever so slightly tempting to stay in the bar at half time for a couple more, after such a lacklustre opening 45 minutes, but surely the second half would be better. So we trudged wearily/paced enthusiastically* (delete as apt) back into the ground for the next thrilling instalment.
I'm glad we did, because it meant we got to see a sublime finish and cracking goal from David Reeve, 20 minutes into the second half (see video below) when he latched onto a clearance by a Glapwell, defender.
I didn't record anything of note happening in the second half prior to that, but the 'wonder strike' did lift Harworth and they upped the ante a bit from then on in, well ... a bit anyway.

Luckily, one of my relatives who lives in Bircotes was present when David Reeve scored Harworth's second (and winning goal) and caught the moment for posterity, on his fancy mobile phone.
Also, Dan captured Jordan Hardman executing the art of nutmegging an opponent, which also features a cameo appearance from Glapwell's captain Gareth Vardy (number 6).
Thanks for the footage Dan Footitt, much appreciated mate, great work ;-)

Tom Walker had a penalty appeal waved away, I've seen them given, but it was one of those you'd think was harsh if the referee had awarded it against your team. So you'd have to say it's another one of those 'these things balance themselves out over a season moments'. That said, there was contact and I'm definitely not accusing Tom of taking a fall to gain an advantage.
From a Michael Smy corner, Glapwell's Tim Grundy headed wide of the target, but the visitors efforts to get some momentum going to get back into it, weren't amounting to very much and the game was becoming a bit of a stalemate bogged down in the middle of the park again.
Gaz Sides did get away and had a speculative shot at goal, but Alex Malong saved and Tom Padgett couldn't quite get the touch he needed on the rebound and fired wide.
Though only one goal separated the two sides as the game reached it's climax (for want of a better word), Glapwell already seemed resigned to their fate and Harworth were content to run the clock down and not leave themselves vulnerable at the back by committing too many men forward.
David Cornthwaite made a bid to get into the Guinness Book of Records when he got himself booked despite only having just come on as a sub in the 90th minute.
And that was about it.
In conclusion: Two sides from the chasing pack in the top half of the table, cancelling each other out for the most of the game.
There is a school of thought that says a draw would've been a fair result, but the Harworth captain's goal was worthy of wining any game, even an ugly and sometimes dull one like this.
Three points is three points I s'pose, but both teams will have left the pitch this afternoon knowing they can play much better than they did today.
FT - Harworth Colliery 2 v Glapwell 1
Harworth will have to raise their game on Tuesday night when they visit Ollerton Town.
The Colliery side are now 3rd in the CMFL North table, Ollerton are 4th, two points behind but with four games in hand over Harworth.
It's going to be a tough test and Harworth are going to have to regain that self belief that saw them make such a flying start to the season, when they make the short journey to Walesby Lane, if they're going to get anything out of the game.
Onwards and upwards!