Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Harworth Colliery Institute U19 3 v Teversal U19 1 - Friendly

Harworth Colliery U19 team picture 2012-13, by Rob Waite
Left click to enlarge image

Wednesday 22nd August 2012, at Scrooby Road
Pre Season Friendly
Harworth Colliery Institute U19 (0) 3
Daine McGrain 59, 61, Matt Smith 79
Teversal U19 (1) 1
Max Curzon 33
Admission free
Harworth Colliery U19:
Tom Hogg, Reece Kemp, Chris Higgins, Gareth Bonner, Calum Tiffany, Billy Ball, Mitchell Lax, Daine McGrain, Matt Smith, Mitchell Rosie
Subs - Will Gravel, Lewis Elwood, Jordan Nortcliffe, Connor Gresham
Teversal U19:
Sam Bedingham Pearce, Jeremy Moran, Jason Markell, Ryan Baldwin, Craig Newton, Dan Hartshorn, Jamie Waters, Anthony Timmins, Max Curzon, Liam Aspinall, Ben West
No Subs
For Harworth, Jordan Hardman was rested, having played 90 minutes for the first team last night, while Matt Smith who had been a second half sub for the first team v Sherwood Colliery, played for the second night in a row.
Teversal, who were short on numbers tonight, with just 11 players available, sensibly adopted to play a horses for courses system, that would protect their defence, who were going to have to play out the whole 90 minutes regardless, given a lack of substitute options on the bench, just two days after they had played Mansfield Town's academy side at Canarvon Street.
There were a few enforced changes from Monday night, but Tevie's management and club officials didn't make excuses or moan about it, they just knuckled down, got on with it and packed out the midfield, to make it difficult for Harworth to break them down.
It made for an interesting challenge for the Colliery side as they tried to make in roads into a congested final third.
The home side came close to breaking the deadlock several times early in the game.
Daine McGrain played Matt Smith through on 13 minutes, but his effort hit the post.
Within a minute McGrain himself had a go at opening the score, but his effort cleared the crossbar.
Then on 25 minutes, the woodwork again denied Harworth as McGrain's miss hit shot went wide off the post.
Kev 'I walk the line' Newton, of Teversal FC

The visitors were absorbing the game in midfield and looking to squeeze play into a tight area around the half way line, where they could counter attack from, at pace, through Liam Aspinall and Max Curzon. The tactic paid off on 33 minutes when Max Curzon broke free and slotted the ball home from 12 yards out.
Harworth could already have been three up, but the visitors were now ahead and their lead could be considered as just reward for Tevie's backs to the wall tenacity, as they closed ranks again and offered the gauntlet to Harworth to come and try breaking them down again.
Before the break, Max Curzon went clear again from a cross out from the left wing, but this time his threat came nothing.
HT - Harworth Colliery 0 v Teversal 1
Half time, planning the second half comeback

Daine McGrain had the first goal scoring chance of the second half, but as he cued up to shoot, Jeremy Moran got a foot in and took the sting out of the shot, which Sam Bedingham Pearce saved.
The visitors keeper made a number of good stops tonight.
As the second half progressed, the alterations to the pattern of play that Harworth had implemented at the break, started to take effect and on 59 minutes they pulled the game level at one apiece when Mitchell Lax's left wing corner hung invitingly in the air for Daine McGrain to head home from 6 yards out.
Within two minutes, Harworth were in front, when McGrain muscled his way into the box past the left hand side of Tevie's defence and rolled the ball into the far corner of the net over the outstretched hand of Bedingham Pearce, via a slightly 'mischievous' bobble in the pitch that deceived the visitors keeper.
I'd put my camera away by now, but captured a very blurred approximation of the goal on my mobile phone.
Blurred approximation

I'm not a real photographer like that nice Mr Parnill from Stanton Hill who owns a proper camera.
He's put an excellent set of pictures from the game, on both the Teversal and Harworth websites.
Good work Keef!
Harworth substitute Lewis Elwood fired narrowly wide and on 67 minutes and shortly afterwards Daine McGrain almost claimed his hat trick, when his effort from another Mitchell Lax corner was cleared off the line.
Connor Gresham on as a substitute for the home side showed some good touches as, once again, an upright kept Teversal in the game.
The visitors, were understandably looking tired by now, but still kept working hard as a unit.
Got the moves like Jagger

Matt Smith capitalised as the Teversal defence struggled to clear their lines on 79 minutes and put the game beyond the visitors reach at 3-1.
Teversal got on free kick out on the right wing, as they tried to push forward in the latter stages the game. Jason Markell stepped forward and blitzed the ball over the Harworth bar.
Possibly, with more time on the clock, he would've opted to cross instead.
In the final minute, Sam Bedingham Pearce got down well to save from Daine McGrain, pushing the ball away for a corner via the post.
The old super-glue on the goalpost trick claims another victim

Well done to Teversal, for showing so much tenacity and for turning out to play when so many squad members were unavailable on the night.
For Harworth's part, you can only play what's in front of you and the Scrooby Road side made enough chances to have won far more comfortably any other night.
FT - Harworth Colliery 3 v Teversal 1