Saturday, 19 May 2012

Dronfield Town 0 v Westella & Willerby 1 - CMFL North

Saturday 19th May 2012, at Stonelow Road
Central Midlands League North
Dronfield Town (0) 0
Westella & Willerby (1) 1
Gareth Slater 26
Admission £3, Programme £1, Attendance 269
Dronfield Town:
Nick Siddons, Trev Roberts, Aidan Ashton, Stu Hill, Richard Mintoft, Mark Hemsley, Nick Tilly, Brett Gibbons, Nick Horsfield, John Doran, Kieran Gallagher.
Subs - Andy Gange, John Perkins, Steve Whitehead, Cal Mawby, Jonny Pugh
Westella & Willerby:
Rick Watson, Tom Dent, Alex Knaggs, Gareth Slater, Phil Winn, Tom Andrews, Jonny Slater, Bobby Stevenson, Matt Fyvie, Owen Mountain, Mike Thompson
Subs - Callum Stone, Dean Larvin
A 26th minute, deflected, goal bound (just about) strike by Gareth Slater, was all that separated the two sides today in this 'Championship Decider part 1'.
Though the visitors did have more of the play than their Derbyshire hosts, it was a fairly low key and lacklustre game, which was a surprise given how much was at stake.
Dronfield Town needed to win to clinch the CMFL North championship, but by virtue of losing today they will now finish either second or third in the table.
If Westella & Willerby win their last game next Saturday (v. Glapwell, who are second bottom) then they will be champions, but if they draw or lose, Thoresby Colliery Welfare will win the CMFL North league title instead.
The Central Midlands League ... sometimes it defies gravity

The Westella & Willerby v Glapwell game, was rescheduled for next Saturday, because Glapwell could only raise 5 players when the game was originally supposed to be played.
Hopefully the visitors can get a side together for next week, to prevent the CMFL season ending with Westella & Willerby being awarded the game and three points, because the opposition defaulted.
However, the word on the street today, is that Glapwell intend to send a full strength team to face Westella & Willerby next week. Which bodes well for the integrity of those involved and the reputation of the CMFL itself.
The game at Bishop Burton College, is probably a home banker, but football isn't always predictable ... and quite often, the end of season fixtures throw up a few curious results.
For the record, today's other CMFL North fixture, was called off, late in the day by all accounts, when FC05 Bilsthorpe couldn't raise a team to travel up to Yorkshire Main.
The home side were awarded 3 points as a consequence.
Hmm, the season's been extended until 26th May, yet still the powers that be, expected FC05 Bilsthorpe to raise a team on a Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. To my way of thinking, given that this is a step 7, grass roots and part time league, I feel the demands that put on FC05 are unreasonable.
Champions elect, Dronfield Town, never really got going today.
At times, there was almost a lethargic gait to their play and no sense of urgency about them at all.
Manager Craig Butler and his assistant Chris Millington, shouted themselves hoarse trying to put a rocket up their team.
But, for whatever reason, they never really got out of the blocks today.
Maybe they got stage fright in front of a decent sized crowd, which totalled only 7 less than the one that attended the 'CMFL Groundhop Bonanza Day' back in March, possibly they were affected by nervousness given the importance of getting a result today.
Dronfield Town FC, as viewed from the boundary of the Coal Aston v Barnsley
game, one of two cricket matches taking place at the Stonelow Road grounds

But the home side didn't play like a team, who knew the league title was within their grasp and just one more victory away.
Time wasting, messing about and delaying a corner you are taking, while your team needs to win and you're a goal down with just ten minutes to go, is quite frankly, crass and unfathomable ... and it totally warranted the string of verbal abuse that was forthcoming from the Dronfield bench.
The Dronfield keeper falls off a step ladder and gets his head stuck in a divot

The visitors opening strike after 26th minutes, was the first effort of note on goal by either side, on a grim, damp and cold afternoon weather-wise.
Bobby Stevenson almost doubled his sides lead on 32 minutes, but his dipping shot from outside the box, was thwarted by a fine one handed save from Nick Siddons in the Dronfield goal, who tipped the ball over the crossbar.
Nick Horsfield had a chance to make the score 1-1 on 37 minutes, but he headed across the face of goal and narrowly wide of the post.
Half time - Dronfield Town 0 v Westella & Willerby 1
With an hour gone, Dronfield were struggling to make any head way, with the visitors looking more likely to score again, through one of their sporadic bursts forward.
Though the home defence was more or less dealing with that threat, it was at times only a lightweight, token threat.
The game was becoming increasingly more scrappy and the referee never seemed to have his whistle away from his lips for very long.
On 69 minutes, Jonny Slater hit a speculative effort over the Dronfield bar, from out on the right, just outside the penalty box.
On 70 minutes, Mike Thompson hit a speculative effort over the bar, from out the left, just outside the penalty box.
Though this game may hae been lacking in several departments, it now had an element of symmetry about it to marvel at.
Yep! It was getting a tad difficult to find anything positive or remotely interesting to comment on by now.
On 72 minutes, Dronfield looked as if they might be waking up to the reality of the situation they were in, when Nick Horsfield, charged up the left wing and delivered a loe cross into the six yard box. But Rick Watson smothered the ball and cut out the danger.
Jonny Slater, with time and space to cue up a shot, fired the ball wide from twenty yards out as the visitors looked to make the game safe.
Owen Mountain, Gareth Slater and Jonny Slater, combined in a slick passing move as they raided the Dronfield box, Nick Siddons did well to block Jonny Slater's close range shot and Owen Mountain couldn't get a good contact on the rebound and the attack came to nothing.
The segment of action framed in the previous sentence, encapsulates the highlight of the game.
With five minutes remaining, Brett Gibbons, Dronfield's number 8, tried his luck, with a pop at goal from twenty yards out, but he was well off the mark.
Which kind of sums up the whole afternoon for Dronfield, who in the end, got what they deserved from the game.
This was only the home side's 3rd defeat, in their last 31 games - they also lost to Phoenix Sports & Social and next seasons champions in waiting, Harworth Colliery Institute (remember where you saw it first).
Although they've had a great season, that exceeded all expectations and the set up at Stonelow Road is coming along in leaps and bounds, Dronfield Town must be thoroughly disappointed with how it all ended this afternoon, where Westella & Willerby, didn't exactly bust a gut, but deserved the points more on the day.
Full time - Dronfield Town 0 v Westella & Willerby 1
Hibernian still haven't won the Scottish Cup since 1902, an absolutely shocking record given their apparent standing in Scottish football, because they were thrashed at Hampden Park this afternoon, by an embarrassing margin of 5 goals to 1, against the mighty Heart of Midlothian.
A brilliant result and I'm made up for the deserving couple of people I gave my ticket allocation for the game to ... you both deserved it, thanks for all that you've done :-)Footnote:
Added Sunday 20th May 2012.
Westella & Willerby v Glapwell, will go ahead at 3pm next Saturday, as scheduled, but the venue's been switched from Bishop Burton College, to Dene Park, the home of Hall Road Rangers FC