Monday, 2 April 2012

Staveley Miners Welfare U19 1 v Buxton (Bluestar) U19 0 - NMU19L Mini Shield

Monday 2nd April, at Inkersall Road
North Midlands U19 League, Mini Shield Group D
Staveley Miners Welfare U19 (0) 1
Ashden Morley 76
Buxton (Bluestar) U19 (0) 0
Admission £2, Programme 50p, Attendance 60+
Staveley MW U19
1. Adam Ledger, 2. David Anthony, 3. Brad Jones, 4. Lee Anthony, 5. Nathan Linacre, 6. Ashden Morley, 7. Matt Langley, 8. Sam Finlaw, 9. Adam Houghton, 10. Ross Goodwin 11. Michael Cuckson.
Subs 12. Callum Davison, GK Danny Whetton, 14. Karl Hallam,
15. Ryan Watters 16. Greg Ward
Buxton (Bluestar) U19
12. John Stanway, 2. Josh Bennett, 3. Charlie Johnson, 4. Ben Clarke, 5. Leon Owen, 6. Zac Haywood, 7. Dave Taylor, 8. Charlie Vize, 9. Jack Bradbury, 10. John Ballington, 11. Danny Hopkins.
Subs - 14. Cameron Higginbottom, 15. Josh Hall
Slightly fewer people (approx. 1000, give or take) than had been here just 48 hours ago, flocked to Inkersall Road on a very mild Monday evening, for tonight's NMU19L Mini Shield group game, between the current 1st Division leaders Staveley Miners Welfare and Buxton of the 3rd Division.
It was good to see former Mansfield Town and Rotherham United defender Martin McIntosh again tonight and have a brief and amusing chat with him.
Martin is the current Buxton first team manager and he's obviously taking an interest in the youngsters at his club. By the look of it, they've got a good crop coming through the ranks.
Buxton acquitted themselves well and didn't look at all overawed by the respective differences in League status between the two sides.
In fact, it was the visitors who should have taken the lead, when Jack Bradbury played John Ballington in, on the right hand side of the Staveley 6 yard box, but he shot wide.
A neat pass from Staveley's Matt Langley, sent Lee Anthony on a run down the right hand channel, his inviting cross found Ross Goodwin, but he turned the ball narrowly wide.
Late in the first half Michael Cuckson and Buxton's keeper John Stanway, chased a ball over the Buxton defence as it bounced in the area, it spun up awkwardly evading Cuckson and Stanway was able to repel the danger by kicking the ball back to where it had originated from.
Half time 0-0
Right at the start of the second half, Jack Bradbury, the Buxton centre forward went down under a challenge, inside the penalty area.
All eyes were turned to the referee, but he waved play on.
"I've seen them given" and "Bloody hell, that was lucky!" type sentiments were muttered by the Staveley supporters sat nearby.
Staveley finally started to impose themselves, though let it be said, the visitors were well organised, keeping things tight and generally getting nods of approval from all present, for their efforts.
Sam Finlaw went on a mazy run into the box, showing some neat tricks and close control. He beat 4 players before Buxton's defence managed to crowd him out.
Ray Marsh - legend! And he brings sweets with him ;-)

Nathan Linacre sprayed a pass out to Lee Anthony, who looked very impressive down the right hand side tonight, but the lively Staveley number 4's shot flew wide of the mark.
It was almost inevitable that if Staveley were going to break Buxton down tonight, Lee Anthony would be involved and so it proved to be. His in-swinging corner on 76 minutes, found the head of former Sheffield FC player Ashden Morley and he netted the only goal of the game.
Hopefully Michael Cuckson isn't as seriously hurt as it looked, when he went down following a genuine attempt to win the ball late in the game.
I won't name the Buxton player who caught him, because I'm 100% sure he didn't mean to do it and he looks suitably concerned on the picture above.
The two sides meet again on Thursday night at Tideswell.