Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Retford United U19 1 v Handsworth U19 2 - Baris NMU19L League Cup Semi Final

Wednesday 14th March 2012, at Cannon Park
Baris North Midlands Under 19 League,
League Cup Semi Final
Retford United (1) 1 - Liam Hopkinson 23
Handsworth (2) 2 - Alex Toll 28, Danny Ingram 31
Admission £2 inc. programme, Attendance 52 (approx. headcount)
Left click team sheet images for enlarged versions:
Retford United U19
Handsworth U19

A bit of a grim night at Cannon Park for all the followers of Retford United who were present, as the rumours surrounding the current situation with the first team, or to be more precise, a few home truths, half truths, harsh realities and hot off the press news, began to emerge.
Most (but by no means all) of this stuff is fairly common knowledge on the Nottinghamshire football grapevine, so I won't dig over it here and now, because I was at Cannon Park tonight purely to watch a game of football, between two really good Under 19's teams.
I'll leave the finger pointing, fretting, gloating, concern and sub plots for other people to dissect. Suffice to say ... whatever agenda certain people might have, there's plenty for them to get stuck into.
It was an entertaining game, a typical cup tie, with loads of chances going begging at both ends.
Retford United are currently in the 2nd Division of the NMU19L and are a match for anybody in that league on their day, but tonight Handsworth, currently 2nd in Division 1, proved to be just that bit too strong for their North Notts hosts.
All the goals came in a full blooded first half.
Retford opened the scoring through Liam Hopkinson, who shot home from close range, after the ball reached him on the right hand side of the six yard box, following a quick break through the left hand channel, in the 23rd minute.
Five minutes later Handsworth were on level terms, when Alex Toll hit a sublime, dipping shot from 25 yards out, that dipped over Jack Smith and into the Badgers goal.
Before long the visitors were 2-1 ahead, when Danny Ingram latched on to a rebound from the right upright, to stab the ball home.
The Cannon Park nerve centre
the66pow reaches the parts other blogs can't reach ;-)

The second half continued in the same vein, with both sides creating several really good chances.
Handsworth came closest to scoring again, when Jack Hall's well struck effort cannoned back off the crossbar.
But Retford regained possession and went straight up the other of the pitch where Sam Foulds crashed a shot against the post.
Though the visitors had more chances to score than the Badgers, especially in the second half, it could have gone either way right until the final whistle and United almost forced the game into extra time.