Thursday, 23 February 2012

Staveley Miners Welfare 2 v Liversedge 0 - Baris NCEL Premier Division

Thursday 23rd February 2012, at Inkersall Road
Baris Northern Counties East League Premier Division
Staveley Miners Welfare (1) 2
Dave Cockerill 18, Simon Barraclough 75
Liversedge (0) 0
Admission £4, Programme £1, Attendance 104
Left click to enlarge team sheet image

Tonight's fixture was moved forward to accommodate Staveley's FA Vase Quarter Final tie on 3rd March, against St. Ives Town at Inkersall Road.
St. Ives Town (who beat Gresley 4-0, in a replay, in the last round) are already filling their third supporters coach for the eagerly anticipated Vase tie. Me thinks Staveley Miners Welfare will be the place to be that day.
This win puts Billy Fox's side level on points with both Bridlington Town and Retford United, at the top of the NCEL Premier Division.
The home side should've been out of sight by half time, given the amount of chances they created in the first 45 minutes.
But a single goal scored by experienced striker Dave Cockerill, when he put the finishing touch to a great move where Richard Patterson laid the ball on for Joe Thornton, who ran half the length of the pitch to accurately chip the ball into Cockerill's path for the easiest of finishes, was all that separated the sides at the break.
Always willing to push back the boundaries and embrace new ideas, Staveley have introduced a new squad numbering system tonight that allows Cockerill to play in a shirt that shows his weight on his back.
He didn't really!
And I owe you a pint for that one Cockers, AKA number 23!
Alex Hallam hit the angle of the crossbar from 25 yards out as the visitors pushed for an equaliser, but Liversedge didn't get the breaks over the 90 minutes.
For the record Cockerill was actually man of the match and worked his socks off going for goal and bringing his team mates in to the game.
Cockerill (twice), Joe Thornhill (twice), Jamie Smith and Simon Barraclough, could've all extended the Blues lead before the break, but the Liversedge rearguard kept the score down, in particular Danny Knight who got his fingertips to a well struck Joe Thornton free kick to push it over the bar.

After the break, Staveley's passing and cohesion was all over the place for a while, but when Danny Knight in the Liversedge goal and Jake Lawler made a mess of clearing the ball on 75 minutes, Simon Barraclough was on hand to punish their mistake.
Justice was seen to have been done, because Lawler had got away with a blatant handball in the penalty area a few minutes before the second goal.
Even a woman loading her shopping into the boot of her car a quarter of a mile away in Morrison's car park saw that one, even if the referee was unsighted and gave Liversedge the benefit of the doubt.
It's amazing what you can make out of a Tesco 'Value Range' Cereal Box

As the game reached it's conclusion, Staveley found their fluency again and pushed forward to try putting the game beyond Liversedge's reach, most notably through some good work down the left from young full back Chris Fawcus, who put Adam Houghton clear through, only to see the substitute frontman head narrowly wide. Fawcus was then unlucky not to score with a strike of his own, which Danny KNight held well.
Word on the grapevine is that Staveley are looking to strengthen their already impressive squad in the near future, which bodes well for the club.
As well as battling for promotion, the Blues have the FA Vase quarter Final to come next weekend and a local derby at nearby Worksop Town on the 7th March to look forward to in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Cup and, of course, they're still in the NCEL League Cup, where they face an away fixture at Barton Town Old Boys on a date yet to be confirmed ... so they're firing on all fronts still this season.
As always, a great welcome at the upwardly mobile 'best club in Chesterfield'. Staveley MW tonight, at their rapidly improving ground ... and it was good to get in an extra game on a Thursday night too.