Saturday, 19 November 2011

AFC Telford United 0 v. Mansfield Town 0 - BSBP

Saturday 19th November 2011, at the New Bucks Head
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town (0) 0
AFC Telford United (0) 0
Admission £13, Programme £2.50, Attendance 2,203
Sir Stephe Roberts tan

AFC Telford United:
1. Ryan Young, 2. Will Salmon, 3. Sean Newton, 5. Stuart Whitehead, 6. Shane Killock (c), 19. Craig Farrell, 20. Richard Davies, 23. Ryan Valentine, 25. Chris Sharp, 27. Jay Smith, 28. Ashley Cain.
Substitutes: 11. Jon Adams (for Davies, 85 minutes), 16. Daniel Preston, 17. Craig King (for Sharp, 90 minutes), 29. Stephen Jones (for Farrell, 61 minutes), 32. Ryan Robinson (GK).
Mansfield Town:
1. Alan Marriott, 5. John Thompson, 10. Matt Green, 11. Adam Murray, 15. Ross Dyer, 16. Luke O’Neill, 17. Ritchie Sutton, 21. Anthony Howell, 24. Lindon Meikle, 29. Nick Hegarty, 30. Keiron Freeman.
Substitutes: 23. Shane Redmond (GK), 9. Paul Connor (for Hegarty, 46 minutes), 22. Rhys Day, 27. Louis Moult, 14. Paul Bolland.
Our pre match pint (or five) today in The Swan, a short walk from the New Bucks Head ground, was the Dogs Bollocks ... no seriously!
To quote Mansfield manager Paul Cox in his post match interview with BBC Radio Nottingham:
"We just lacked a cutting edge and an end product. The lads have worked hard but we didn't create.
"Our delivery in the box wasn't good, our end product was nothing today. That's sometimes down to a bit of quality in depth"
Last weekend, 19th placed Telford, lost 4-0 in the FA Cup to Blue Square Bet South side Chelmsford City, today they were playing to restore some pride.
The Stags Alan Marriott was the busiest of the two keepers, but it wouldn't be too unkind to the visitors today to say that was because, Ryan Young at the other end wasn't exactly overworked by the Mansfield front line, who didn't offer a great deal in the way of creativity.
There were only 8 goal attempts on target throughout this lacklustre game, 5 of which came from the home side.
Three players made their débuts for United today, namely Jay Smith, former Stags player Ashley Cain and substitute Steve Jones.
And despite the spirited effort the Bucks made sporadically, the game was, by and large, a fairly turgid affair.
With Telford sat just above the relegation places and the Stags looking to stay in tough with the play off chasing pack, one point apiece was neither here nor there for either team, though the home side did go above Lincoln City in the table on goal difference by virtue of David Holdsworth's Imps losing 2-0 at Wrexham.
The 6300 capacity New Bucks Head Stadium was only opened as recently as 2003, it has covered terracing at either end, a 2200 all seated stand along one side and open terracing on the opposite side behind the dug outs.
It is one of the smarter grounds the Stags will have to visit this season.
There were a few positives Mansfield Town could take out of the game.
John Thompson made his first league appearance of the season and he came through it with flying colours.
Today, his début in a 'competitive' fixture, was also his comeback game after he was injured in the infamous pre season 'friendly' at Ilkeston.
Richie Sutton was above average.
And Luke O'Neill put in a really good shift too, looking untroubled and comfortable on the ball all afternoon.
Besides that, it wasn't a game that will live in the memory for very long.