Monday, 5 September 2011

Arnold 4 v Carlton Town 2 - FA Youth Cup

Monday 5th September 2011, at Eagle Valley
FA Youth Cup Preliminary Round
Arnold Town (2) 4
(Tom Lees-Collier 16, 24, 54, Joseph Brothwell 78)
Carlton Town (0) 2
(Nathan Guigno 48 pen, Raheem Gordon 59)
Admission £2 inc. double sided team sheet, which unfortunately only listed the names of the home side because Carlton hadn't sent Arnold any details.
Thanks to the young lady who identified a couple of the Arnold Town players for me, I thought she must be one of their players sisters, but she was actually a parent.
Attendance 70 plus
Left click photos/scanned images to enlarge.
Carlton Town kick off while Tom Lees-Collier anticipates his hat trick

I was sat next to the Lord Mayor of Carlton for the second half, known to his friends and foes alike as Brian (and various other very apt B words) and even he didn't know who most of his team were. But Keith Parnill of Teversal FC 'fame', was resourceful as ever and discovered the names of the two goalscorers.
Also in attendance was Mr Storer of the most excellent On The Road blog ... and that bearded chap from Newark Town who I see to see almost every night of every week at the moment.

The weather was blustery and nippy at kick off time, and after the rain joined in with the fun after about 20 minutes, it was bucketing down by half time.
It can't have been much fun running around in the epicentre mini monsoon that hit Oxton with a vengeance tonight, but both sides stuck at it and put on a decent enough match.
At one point during the first half, the result looked like it was going to be a formality for Arnold, when Tom Lees-Collier struck twice to put the young Eagles firmly in control.
On 16 minutes he curled a free kick into the roof of the net from 7 metres out and an 24 minutes, headed home a right wing corner, having timed his run perfectly to lose the attention of his marker.
Arnold were in the ascendancy and Carlton looked a bit dejected and in need of a half time warm and pep talk.
Whatever went off in the visitors dressing room, they were the first back onto the pitch and started the second half as if they really wanted to make a game of it.
Three minutes after the restart Carlton were back in it, via a Nathan Guigno spot kick and it was 'game' on again.
But on 54 minutes, Lees-Collier scored from a free kick on the edge of the Arnold box to restore his team's two goal cushion.
Tom's kick was low and accurate, but not ever so powerful ... it deceived both the Carlton wall and their unsighted keeper, who were probably expecting a repeat performance of his first attempt, 3-1.
Stop taking the piss guys, it's ten yards not ten inches!!!

Arnold seemed to relax a bit after Lees-Collier had completed his hat trick and just before the hour, Raheem Gordon took advantage and ran through a static back four to fire home Carlton's second.
The visitors had a succession of free kicks around the Arnold box as they pushed for an equaliser, but the Eagles countered and Joseph Brothwell broke clear, kept a calm head and took his goal well at the other end.
Despite a spirited fightback, Brothwell's goal broke Carlton's resistance and Arnold held on to their two goal advantage at the third time of asking.
Hinckley United visit Eagle Valley in the next round on Monday 19th September ... I hope the weather improves by then.

For your reading pleasure ..
Next stop, Wembley Stadium, Tuesday night ... England v Wales, Euro 2012 Qualifier