Monday, 1 August 2011

Frickley Athletic 3 v Brodsworth 1 - Friendly

Monday 1st August 2011, at the Tech 5 Stadium

Frickley Athletic (0) 3
(Danny Walsh 54, Carl Jones 68, Brad Grayson 89)
Brodsworth (1) 1
(Craig Hobson 1)

Admission £3, no programme, free team sheet
Left click images to enlarge them
The kick off was delayed for 10 minutes while the referee Mr N Bannister did a jig with one of his assistants, followed by an encore featuring his infamous solo rendition of 'I'm a little tea pot', while the players stood around, looking on bemused.
I'm possibly making this up.
Frickley Athletic:
Ben Saynor (Jordan Bradshaw 50min), Charles Fisher (Kelvin Bleau 55min), Gavin Smith (Mark Whitehouse 55min), Danny Walsh (Carl Jones 65min), Lincoln Adams (James Riodan 55min), Stuart Ludlam, Lee Bennett, James Ashmore, Jack Watts (Ashley Longstaff 61min), Brad Grayson, Leon Henry (Teo Ringrose 70min).
Rick Watson, Liam Syrom, Dale Gordon, Lee Booth, Danny Riley, Liam Haller, Liam O'Neill, Jake White, Paul Bracey, Andy Langs, Ian Sharpe, Gaz Hopkins, Craig Hobson, Josh Copeland, Richard Walker.

Brodsworth Miners Welfare were the whipping boys of the NCEL Division 1 last season, but this time around they've dropped the Miners Welfare bit from their name and are now simply Brodsworth FC.
They've relocated too.
As of 2011-12 they'll be ground sharing with Featherstone Rovers Rugby League FC.
I liked Broddy's old ground, even the thrills and spills of getting stuck up to your back axles their car park mud was all part of the fun ... alas, they needed investment to survive and the move up to Featherstone came along as part of the package, along with the new money.
Either way, the Post Office Road ground, or Big Fellas Stadium as it is now called, is a cracking venue for Brodsworth to be playing at and I'll have to make a point of watching a football match there soon.
I've been there previously to watch Rovers take on the might of 'Classy Cas' (AKA Castleford Tigers RLFC). Rugby League is alright, better by far than Rugby Union, but ... it's not football, is it!?
Tonight's game was originally scheduled for Saturday 30th at the smaller stadium that backs on to Doncaster Rovers ground, but that had to be changed ... something to do with an Irish popular music combo called Westlife playing at the Keepmoat on the same day.
I think they're famous for having a former member who was involved romantically with that really annoying ex member of Atomic Kitten who did TV adverts for Iceland, or similar.
But the game ended up being rescheduled for a Monday night in South Elmsall instead, which, though I always enjoy my visits to Costa del Frickley, was a bit of a disappoint to me, because the original venue would've afforded me the opportunity to watch a game at a venue I've never visited before. I've been to the proper Keepmoat several times now, but never the Lesser Keepmoat, or whatever it's called.
Broddy warm up on the bi-line 20 yards from the goal.
That's going to come in handy once the game kicks off :-O

Brodsworth opened the scoring after just 40 seconds. Ben Saynor started in goal for the Blues tonight and he was called into action immediately ... but his attempted clearance was charged down by Craig Hobson, who chased the loose ball to out on the bi-line 20 yards from goal and deftly planted the ball over the retreating Saynor from an improbable angle.
The goal stunned Frickley.
And probably Brodsworth too if truth be told.
Taking the lead gave the visitors a real lift and they were charging around the pitch with a real determination and taking no prisoners in the tackle.
The game had a real competitive edge about it ... who said results in friendlies count for nothing? Think about that though, if winning isn't everything in these practice matches, why does anybody bother keeping count of the score?
Brad Grayson, Lee Bennett and Lincoln Adams all came close to pulling the home side level, but a goal line block, a great save from Rick Watson and the thickness of a post as Adams header flashed marginally wide, denied Frickley.
Brodsworth's Andy Langs clattered into Leon Henry with a late tackle on 40 minutes, it was out on the wing near the halfway line and completely unnecessary.
The referee gave Langs a lecture, but with it 'only being a friendly' he didn't show him a card. Maybe he should have considered that with the game 'only being a friendly' there was no place for such dangerous challenges either.
Thankfully, Henry, only just coming back from injury, got up and was able to continue.
The home side were now getting to grips with their lively visitors and looking more and more dangerous around the Brodsworth goal.
But just before half time the score was almost 2-0, as Broddy hit Frickley on the counter attack. Ian Sharpe got away from his marker and charged towards the Blues goal, but Ben Saynor was off his line quickly and bravely went down at Sharpe's feet to save a certain goal.
Half time 0-1
Big Fellas Social Club, Frickley's bar and Brodsworth/Featherstone's home
ground share the same sponsor. I'm a mine of interesting facts tonight.
Don'tcha think?

After the break, as you'd expect, Frickley took the game to Brodsworth more and more and the visitors goal was under siege for long spells.
Danny Walsh equalised on 54 minutes, it had been coming for a while.
Leon Henry beat his man out on the left and got his cross in, the ball fell to Brad Grayson and he unselfishly knocked it across the face of the visitors goal into the path of Danny Walsh who netted from close range.
Danny Walsh scores, John Longbottom applauds and Andy Webb
wishes he'd charged his camera battery up :-)

Jack Watts headed home a few minutes later but his effort was ruled out by the referee.
Watts and Grayson both had efforts cleared off the line before the ball fell to Walsh who hit a thundering shot over the cross bar.
Rick Watson's goal was living a charmed life and one had to wonder, the longer the score remained 1-1, if Brodsworth might break away and snatch this game against the run of play.
Carl Jones linked with Ashley Longstaff and almost gave Frickley the lead with his first touch when he entered the fray on 65 minutes.
But Jones was determined to make his mark on this game and after having been on the pitch for three whole minutes he put Frickley ahead from yet another Leon Henry cross.
Leon was taken off on 70 minutes for a well earned breather, but he obviously didn't want to come off. He looks to be back to his best just in time for the new season ahead and had rode some robust challenges well.
Jones (twice) and Ashley Longstaff both came close to adding to Brodsworth's woes.
Then Grayson had a goal bound effort saved well by Rick Watson.
But in the final minute Watson and Grayson both raced for a loose ball on the edge of the visitors box and the young Frickley player got there marginally quicker, knocking the ball just beyond the Brodsworth keeper and into the net.
3-1 home win, game over.
Tomorrow night:
Gainsborough Trinity v Boston United, Lincolnshire Shield Semi Final.
Wednesday night:
Ilkeston v Mansfield Town - PSF