Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Belper Town 0 v Parkgate 2 - Teversal Tournament - Week 2 Match 7

Wednesday 13th July 2011 at Carnarvon Street, Teversal
Teversal Tournament Week 2 Game 7
Belper Town (0) 0
Parkgate (2) 2 (Matt Blake OG 13, Danny Cardwell 42)
Admission £2, Team sheet free (Thanks Kev, get your finger out Keith!) Attendance 91
Even after my romantic night out in West Yorkshire yesterday (my young lady pledged to follow me to the end of the earth, so I took her there, literally), my new motor vehicle can still find it's way to Tevie on auto pilot, given the frequency of my visits to this tranquil little corner of West Notts over the last two weeks.
The directions are straight forward enough, just carry on past Skegby and Stanton Hill and it's on the right between the bus shelter and the red pillar box.
If you reach the hand painted roadside sign that says 'WELL ROTTED HORSE MUCK £1 A BAG' you've missed your turn and gone too far, if you miss that and reach the other sign a short distance along the road, warning you that you're leaving the fine county of Nottinghamshire and entering a nether world called Derbyshire, then you've most definitely gone too far, turn back or abandon all hope.
The man who came in from Pitch-Side Stories (I want football)

It was a case of 'the gangs all here' tonight as a multitude of familiar faces and bloggerists congregated in the corner of the ground.
It's always good to bump into Malc & Kev, Chris Bedford and Albert Steptoe from Carlton Town.
What a strange sight those sad ground hoppers were, clicking away incessantly on their cameras and furiously scribbling indecipherable notes recording the minutest of details and a plethora of inconsequential statistics ...
I'm glad I'm not like that :-O
So tonight's second semi final, to decide which side faces Staveley MW in the final on Saturday was contested by ... In the Derbyshire corner, Belper Town of the Evo-Stik Southern Division and representing South Yorkshire, NCEL Premier Division side Parkgate.
Belper were cast as favourites to reach the final, but to their credit, Parkgate were having none of that.
Stuart Richardson refereed this sometimes feisty encounter well.
It needed an assured and strong official at times to calm down a few flashpoints, but Stuart handled those situations very well and kept the tempo from boiling over.
It is often said that a good referee is one who goes un-noticed for 90 minutes, but when the tackles start flying in, well ... somebody has to remind everybody who is in control.
Danny Cardwell fires a corner into the area,
moments later Parkgate were ahead.

Parkgate took the lead on 13 minutes ... talk about flukey.
Danny Cardwell (above) scuffed his corner and left everybody within earshot in no doubt about how disappointed he was with his effort ... but by chance rather than design, it fell for Adam Shepherd who fiercely struck the ball on target.
Belper's Adam Pride was positioned on the line and appeared to have rescued the situation when he belted the ball away with some force.
Unfortunately for the Nailers, the ball then struck their centre half Matt Blake in the back and cannoned back into the goal (insert 'And the scorer of the opening goal is Rick O'Shea' joke here).
Though it was a rather fortuitous opening goal, it was the Steelmen who had been taking the game to their Evo-Stik league opponents up to that point and they thoroughly deserved to be in front.
Oh no, that bloody pest is here again!!!

On 35 minutes the linesman signalled that Parkgate's captain Gareth Clayton had handled the ball inside the box and a penalty was awarded.
It looked a bit harsh to me, more of an unavoidable ball to hand situation, but the gentleman with the flag thought otherwise and his opinion carries more clout than mine.
One or two people present would only accuse me of bias towards Yorkshire teams if I said anything else on the subject anyway.
This intermission was brought to you by the Geographical Fact Blog, in conjunction with Google maps.

James Jenkinson saved Adam Walker's spot kick anyway.
With half time beckoning Danny Cardwell (below) put Parkgate two goals in front, proving he can hit the ball just as sweetly on the run from inside the box as he can scuff it from corners.
Cardwell's strike followed some neat passing down the right hand side from the Rawmarsh based side, the impressive move had started in their own half.
Belper were going to have to raise their game in the second half or Parkgate would be coming back to Carnarvon Street on Saturday for the final.
But in truth the two goal lead was rarely threatened from then on in.

Danny Cardwell nets Parkgate's second goal

In the second half, Belper were finding their South Yorkshire opponents difficult to break down and there was always the risk that while Parkgate soaked up everything the Nailers could muster, the Steelmen would hit them on the counter attack and put the result beyond doubt.
But Parkgate stood firm and as the half wore on, the frustration that began to creep into the Belper ranks was evident ... and on several occasions they wasted possession by resorting to half hearted and speculative long distance shots, on and around the Parkgate goal, that were more of a threat to dog walkers passing the ground than anything else..
To be honest, I'd expected a bit more from Belper tonight, but that was offset by Parkgate exceeding what I was expecting from them, so credit where it's due and well played Steelmen.
I don't know if I'll be at the final on Saturday or not, because I'd already made provisional arrangements to go somewhere else then instead, so I'll take this opportunity to thank everybody at Teversal for all the efforts they've put in over this past couple of weeks to make this inaugural tournament such a success.
It's run like clockwork without a hitch from start to finish, so a big round of applause to Teversal FC. See you all again soon no doubt.

Saturday 16th July
Admission £2
Licensed bar and hot/cold food available
Parkgate v Staveley MW
Kick Off 3pm
At Carnarvon Street,
NG17 3HJ

Tel: 07773922539

And don't forget there is a consolation match on Thursday night (14th July) between Maltby Main and Pinxton too, kick off is at 7.45pm ... if scores are level after 90 minutes a penalty shoot out will apply.