Thursday, 18 February 2010

Worksop Town v Staveley Miners Welfare - North Midlands Under 19's League Division One

Thursday 18th February 2010. North Midlands Under 19's League Division One.
at Primrose Hill (Blackwell Miners Welfare)

Worksop Town (0) 0
Staveley MW (2) 3 (Eborall 2, Annerson)

Admission £2, Programme 50p
Blackwell's versatile sweeper on the wing
About half an hour prior to kick off the steady drizzle gave way to sleat.
The sleat in turn, was replaced by a snow flurry and that still hadn't abated as we drove out of the Blackwell Miners Welfare car park after the game.
Tonight was one of those momentous events that I'll look back on in future years and say "Hey, do you remember the midweek snow storm at Blackwell, when the Under 19's got beat by a very good Staveley MW side?" and everyone will say "No. We weren't daft enough to be there like you"
Well it's your own fault you never went and you missed a really ... err, interesting spectacle. So there!
Staveley opened the lead when Dave Cutts swung in a left wing corner which Danny Eborall netted on 17 minutes.
Before half time Eborall netted again and it looked as if high flying, free scoring Staveley were about to take control.
But a rugged Worksop rearguard limited the Blues scoring opportunities in the second half ... and I'm sure the weather, on loan from the Winter Olympics, made some of the firmly contested 'committed' tackles look more like fouls than they actually were.
Callum Smith pulled off two very agile saves in quick succession, his 'reward' for his efforts was Josh Annerson bundling home the ball as it ran lose for Staveley's third.
Worksop had a couple of chances to make some in roads into the three goal deficit, but against a team of Staveley's calibre you have to take each and every opportunity.
To be fair Staveley looked more likely to score, but a couple of close shaves amounted to nothing.
One of the Staveley contingent shouted out to Eborall "Come on Danny lad, you've done nowt' tonight besides score twice", it was of course tongue in cheek.
Each and every player out on the pitch had done well to last the pace tonight. Likewise the officials and the ground staff who ran onto the pitch during breaks in play to sweep the snow off of the pitch markings.
Full Time 0-3