Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Staveley Miners Welfare 2 v Oadby Town 0 FA Vase 5th Round

FA Vase draw 6th Round

The next round of The FA Vase Draw has been made and subject to confirmation, games will be played on Saturday 3rd March 2012:
Shortwood Utd or Ashinton v Herne Bay or Larkhall Athletic
Staveley MW or Oadby Town v St Ives or Gresley
Tividale or Peterborough Northern Star v Dunston UTS or Bethnal Green Utd
Billingham Synthonia or Bournemouth v Whitley Bay or West Auckland Town
Wednesday 15th February 2012, FA Vase 5th Round
at Inkersall Road, Staveley
Staveley Miners Welfare (1) 2 (Joe Thornton 42, 61)
Oadby Town (0) 0
Admission £5, Programme £1.50, Attendance 340
Left click team sheet picture for enlarged image
This game was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday 11th February, but the foul weather and sub zero ground-frost put paid to that, in case you hadn't noticed.
So over the M1 we travelled in anticipation, on a mild (well, by February in Staveley standards) Wednesday night, to witness a FA Vase encounter between Chesterfield's finest and Oadby Town, from Leicestershire, under the Inkersall Road floodlights.
We were treated to some great cup (vase) tie action tonight, with both teams giving no quarter, or showing any signs of bashfulness when it came to putting a few full blooded tackles in.
Not exactly X rated stuff, but a 'hard fought' game never the less.
The match officials handled the games potential flashpoints very well though.
The 'ADBY' TOWN FC fans congregating outside the bar just before kick off

Jake Duffy should've put the visitors ahead inside the first few minutes, but he fired over instead, after latching onto a poor clearance.
At the other end Jordan Eagers returned the compliment and cleared the Oadby crossbar with a miscued effort, after some good work from Joe Thornton on the left flank had put him clear.
Thornton, tonight's man of the match in my humble opinion, then picked out Ashley Foyle with a well aimed corner kick, but the Staveley centre half headed his shot onto the bar.With half time rapidly approaching, it looked as though the teams would be going in at half time still locked in a goalless stalemate.
Staveley were awarded a penalty on 40 minutes after the 'generously proportioned' Elliot Shillian, the visitors keeper, had made slight (but enough) contact with Thornton as he charged into the Oadby box.
Ryan Damms took the spot kick, but Shillian palmed it away and then pulled off a great save from Thornton in the ensuing aftermath fromthe rebound, at the expense of a corner.
After the Oadby stopper received some treatment, having hurt himself keeping Thornton's effort out, Andrew Fox's corner found it's way through to Thornton, on the right hand corner of the box and he rifled his effort home to give the home side a slender advantage at the break.
HT: 1-0
Thornton (who else?), set up Tom Jones shortly after the restart, but the Staveley captain headed wide.
Just after the hour, Shillian came off his line to narrow the angle as Simon Barraclough homed in on the visitors goal down the left channel.
The Oadby stopper blocked the initial shot from Barraclough, but miss hit his clearance straight into the path of Joe Thornton, who made no mistake of placing the ball into the now unguarded net from 20 yards out.
Oadby's fans upped the noise and tried stirring their side to greater efforts as the remainder of the second half was played out, but as the game was coming to it's conclusion, it was Staveley who finished the strongest, as they went in search of another goal to kill the game off.
Oadby had their moments and contributed a lot to the game ... and their fans deserve some credit for their great vocal backing too.
But in spite of a fairly evenly matched first half, I thought Staveley won quite comfortably in the end, after Thornton's double strike had opened the game up.
Staveley now look forward to a home game in the next round against either St. Ives (from Cambridgeshire, not Cornwall), or Gresley, who are (re)scheduled to play each other at the weekend.
Hmm,  the possibility of an all Derbyshire last eight tie would is a mouth watering prospect.
FT: 2-0
Next up - if I get away from work early enough, a quick return to Stamford AFC for my second visit of 2012 on Friday night, followed by Gainsborough Trinity v Harrogate Town on Saturday.